SAFE may be better than I thought

paul devereux

On 14/06/2023 at 07:01, Nigel Heather said:

I would like an electric plane that size but I shudder to think what the specification and cost of the power train and batteries needed.

Probably not as much as you think Nigel.

WRT most electric flight machines in use now, most are grossly over powered with big powerful batteries and motors - all of which add weight so the plane need to fly faster.

Get it right and there is no reason it should not fly on reasonable cost items.

As an example, I fly a modified Wot trainer on 3S 2700mAH battery and a modest motor on a 12 x 6 prop. If you can, get rid of weight. Small 17g servos replace the standard ones fitted, and the same with massive wood sections (1/4" ply F1 as an example).

Fly it like the IC version and it flies great, no unlimited vertical but definitely sedately aerobatic trading speed for height and visa versa

Try it - you may find you like it.

On 14/06/2023 at 07:52, Nigel Heather said:

Doesn't surprise me - those batteries must be pushing £100 each these days.  On top of that you need to consider replacing them every 2-3 years.

Wouldn't mind if that was getting you something special but you practically need that sort of thing for a 60" sports plane that we used to throw around the sky with a 45 IC engine. 

Sorry, but don't you buy fuel every year to fly your IC engined aircraft?