Simplex builders

iflylilplanes

G'day All,
Here in Australia Decmeber RCM&E has just become available in the newsagents late January. The Simplex caught my eye, so i'm going to build it. I have a DC Dart, Paw 80, Taipan 1cc and a Mills 75, thinking the Taipan will not over power it. Light RC gear is no problem.
The Two modifications I was thinking of making are to make the wing section 3mm thicker to slow down level flight speed, and to fit a simple undercarriage because our field is not belly landing friendly.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated,

Dave W.
<[email protected]>

Advert

Hi Dave, good to hear from you and thanks for posting.

I've had a word with Maurice to see if he has any thoughts. He thinks the DC Dart would be ideal but he isn't terribly enthusiastic about the changes you mention. The undercarriage would add a lot of drag. Still I guess you can always take them off so you have the best of both worlds.

I've seen his fly and it's not too fast at all really although I guess this depends on the motor used.
Have fun,

David.

Hi David,

You are right, I will start with the original section and see how it gose, a new wing can be built later on if speed becomes an issue. As for the undercarriage, I have become adept at spinning up light balsa streamline wheels, the amount of drag should be negligible.
One thing with the wings I am going to do is, starting at the centre of each wing panel at the trailing edge, a row of lightening holes small to large at the tip then cover with tissue.

Clear Prop,

Dave W.

Im having a go at building this too as it is about the easiest plan Ive seen (very important for a complete novice to building). Anyway Im thinking of puting in an electricc motor instead of the ic. Any help with suggesting the right sized motor etc would be appreciated as I know nothing about electric motors.

Thanks anyway for a great easy plan.

Antony,

I've been flying electric for about 18 months now, foamies and 3D. For the Simplex, one of the cheep brushless motors a Bm2408-21 for example, with a 7x4 prop, 2 or 3 cell Lipo (850ma or a little larger). It will fly fast, the thicker wing section mite help there, definitely some extra strength for the wing centre.

I start cutting wood this weekend, I will see if I can post some pics in the gallery.

Clear Prop,

Dave W.

Tim,

Not sure, the one I have I found 10 years ago and it was in the store for a while before then. Here in OZ it pays to look in the bottom of the prop boxes in the older and longer established hobby stores, you would be suprised at what you can find sometimes, although, old treasures are getting few and far between now.

Clear Prop,

Dave W.

John, it's simply figure of 8 stitching with button thread. It makes a very efficient free moving hinge especialy good with relatively thin sheet when it's difficult to make a slot for a plastic type hinge. They used to be used a lot with control liners.

Pat.

John - Im in the process of building it myself at the moment. What I have done is cut 1/2" strips of silk and used them as the hinges. Though I think Ive put a little to much play in them which I am hoping will correct itself when I add the control surfaces. All Ive done is glue the silke to one side of the rudder and thenpassed it inbetween the rudder and fin and glued it to the opposite side of the fin then repeated it in the opposite direction. Not sure if that helps you at all as an alternative.

Antony

OK All,
Down to construction, after a good study of the plans, I have decided to make a few changes to the fuselage, (1) The fuselage sides, top and bottom sheeting will be reduced to 1/16" balsa. (2) 1/8" square balsa in the four corners to increase gluing area. (3) 1/16" balsa doubler from the fire wall to just behind the trailing edge of the wing. (4) 1/8"x1/4" balsa verticals at the cross beams, and lastly (5) fire wall 1/8" ply, fuselage formers 1/8" balsa and engine bearers for the DC Dart 3/8" square pine or birch ply.

These mods should reduce the fuselage weight 20% or more without any loss of strength and no change in the original shape. I also have an idea for a landing gear that can be attached or removed in seconds with a couple of rubber bands, again without taking any thing away from the shape, (no extra dowels).

Any comments please, we'll see how long we can keep this thread going.

Clear Prop,

Dave W.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi after many years away from modelling the plans of the simplex caught my eye (also my 4 1/2 year old son Daddy can you make ...etc)
regarding the wing section which has gone fine (I made a metal former to cut the shape)I have made the ply stiffener at the wing centre section and will use fibre glass bandage for strength but you say about the leading and trailing edges are these reinforced with fibre glass or hard balsa ?
I have made some mods using a gws 280 geared moter, slight nose re-design so I don't know how it will go yet !
Colin H

• 4 years later...
Anyone know where i can get a plan of this little model published way back in 1964. The Feature by Maurice Ashby is here and I really fancy knocking one of these up for electric, to have a go at modern single channel. Been inspired by this site so I'm going to have a go at making a Tx !!!

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 20/01/2012 09:23:51