Horejsi Sapphire/Q12

Not flown or seen one of these, but I have flown other Horejsi products such as the Longshot 3 and 4 DLGs. From that I am comfortable saying that Horejsi make good stuff; not the absolute best in terms of quality, but not far off. Certainly they have always seemed extremely good value for the quality you get, and always seem to fly well. The Longshot was slightly fiddly to build, but then all DLGs are so that is probably not a fair criticism!

With those AG aerofoils the Q12 should thermal like a homesick angel, though a decent F3 RES model would also probably meet your needs at a lower price, but with more building involved. You pays your money and all that...

EDIT - If you are looking for a cheaper ARF alternative, the Topmodel range are a good bet too, though it probably wouldn't have quite the same performance as the Q12. T9Hobbysport stock them, but they seem to have a lot out of stock; they should still be able to order direct for you though.

Edited by MattyB

Cheers MattyB.

What I have read about the Q12, and Horejsi models in general, seems to be generally positive.

I presently fly two Topmodel CZ models and find them to have a good value/quality ratio. I am considering their Astra as a cheaper alternative to the Q12. For my needs it would probably be fine, although I do believe the Q12 would be a step further up in overall quality and performance.

1 hour ago, Steve Colman said:

I presently fly two Topmodel CZ models and find them to have a good value/quality ratio. I am considering their Astra as a cheaper alternative to the Q12. For my needs it would probably be fine, although I do believe the Q12 would be a step further up in overall quality and performance.

Yep, I'd say that analysis is spot on. Go with whichever one suits your budget, I doubt you will be disappointed with either.

I am in the process of putting another one together, shouldn’t have sold the previous one! It is much like putting together the Longshot, a little fiddly but you end up with a lightweight model that goes up in a sniff of lift it is not just for light conditions either it will handle normal uk conditions but not the most comfortable in windy conditions, but that is just me and I have heavier models for that.

My first model had a hacker A10 geared motor but the new one has a bigger out runner, have to cut more off the nose and use a bigger spinner, the hacker was extremely good but not really needed in this model, keep it simple is best.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input Nigel.

The fact that you sold one, regretted it and decided to get another speaks volumes I think.

I mostly want a model for those calm mornings/evenings but happy to read that it will handle a little bit of wind also.

I'm definitely one for keeping things as simple as possible.

• Like 1