My Next Assembly ( The last in the series ) The Phoenix Spacewalker

toto

On 02/08/2023 at 06:32, toto said:

My last assembly ..... in the series of trainers .... and not so much trainers ....... this one is the not so much. The Phoenix Spacewalker II.

Well Toto, as Dorothy said back in 1939 "We're not in Kansas anymore".

To get the true aeromodelling satisfaction I suggest that you slow down a bit and learn to fly your ARF's and meanwhile build a new model from the ground up.

Something like this Barnstormer is not too difficult and a great introduction to learning how to select materials, cut parts accurately and fit them together using the appropriate adhesives.

Believe me - to proudly say that 'I built this myself' is quite therapeutic.

OK, it won't be built overnight but you will learn invaluable skills from the exercise.

Regards - Chris

Edited by Christopher Wolfe
Typo
  • Like 1

Advert

8 hours ago, Graham Bowers said:

One from me, if you don't mind Aiden.

I've been collecting a few "fuel dot" bits however they remain on my bench until I understand one last thing:

I'm in the habit of pumping the tank empty at the end of a flying session. I do this by pulling the feed off the carb and pumping through the "clunk" tube.

Is it possible to do that with the arrangement shown please?

Hi Graham, in the Spacewalker I have to turn the model upside down to empty the tank but no big deal.  I'm been using this system for years.  

4 hours ago, Nigel R said:

Cost = zero.

Most of my models have an accessible carb, and I do the same.

But if you have a cowled engine and the carb is impossible to reach. This Refueling Probe from Radio Active is the business  plus its cheap and cheerful too.  I only use it for cowled engines.  

Hi Christopher,

I'm getting there. On my 4th ARTF and it's been fun but a bit " samey ". Still have a way to go yet as I need to sharpen up on setting servos, setting the TX as well, but from a model making position.... you are correct. I am already looking at a Kestrel for this winter. Many laser cut parts but still dome balsa bathing involved. To me it's the next natural progression.

I can't say I've completely exhausted the ARTF side of things as there are still some slightly more involved versions that I have and can still tackle. Twins, Bipes etc, and I'll get around to them. However from a satisfaction point of view, I agree that it would be excellent to look at a good flying model and know that " I've put a load of wood " up there to fly.

The flying aspect, I only have limited control over but I'm keen as mustard and I'll get there as well. The building or assembly aspect ( however you view it ) is something that has definitely kept my interest buzzing during the drought for flight time otherwise I may have got bored waiting for the flights to come along. 

I enjoy the forum side of things as well as there ie nothing stopping you from learning the ins and outs of all the facets of the hobby whilst you patiently try and get your wings.

I checked out the barnstormer and that does look or interest.... for now though ..... the kestrel beckons and the other ARFT's fight it out between themselves for taking up the remaining shed space. :classic_biggrin:

Many thanks for posting up.

Toto

• Like 1