Top Quark

Futura57

Here are some flying shots of my latest creation christened 'Top Quark'. They were taken yesterday morning in 15mph winds, gusting to 20mph. With added turbulence from the trees around our patch it was pretty hairy getting these shots. See my my profile / album for more pictures.

I knocked up this own design at the beginning of July, a week or so before I joined this forum. I'm waiting for a new draughtsman's board to arrive so I can turn my 'working plan' on lining paper into a proper plan others could follow. I am hoping to submit it to RCM&E magazine in the near future.

The last picture is a Depron prototype of the 'Bottom Quark'. Upper fin and RC to be fitted then she's ready to go when the winds abate.

IMG_4341b.thumb.jpg.274ddc9eabfc579429413ea1276d9f28.jpg

IMG_4354.thumb.JPG.aa9d197785bf23c34f8881b4295960c7.JPG

IMG_4481b.thumb.jpg.037d16273d23c6c20c087d0ab508dd14.jpg

IMG_4384b.thumb.jpg.7455694a5da79dc1960a89c5154918bd.jpg

IMG_20230802_062832063_HDR.thumb.jpg.e0aef95bfe73215218c71145b13b00c9.jpg

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

The plan is coming along nicely. Just some annotating to finish off on the main fuselage sheet 1. The wing sheet 2 is 75% done, requiring mostly annotation to complete. Meanwhile I am progressing with the build and taking pictures for the RCM&E article. All a bit slower than I anticipated, due to unforeseen family events taking precedence.

A large balsa order just arrived so I am making up a plan pack for a couple of mates who will be additional build guinea pigs, just as soon as the plan is done and early copies are made. Just to prove that the prototype wasn't a fluke 😉 

I'm keen to move on to a ducted fan version which I've decided will be stealthy in appearance like the Tempest or Raptor.

IMG_20230901_152134358_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/09/2023 at 15:54, Futura57 said:

The plan is coming along nicely. Just some annotating to finish off on the main fuselage sheet 1. The wing sheet 2 is 75% done, requiring mostly annotation to complete. Meanwhile I am progressing with the build and taking pictures for the RCM&E article. All a bit slower than I anticipated, due to unforeseen family events taking precedence.

A large balsa order just arrived so I am making up a plan pack for a couple of mates who will be additional build guinea pigs, just as soon as the plan is done and early copies are made. Just to prove that the prototype wasn't a fluke 😉 

I'm keen to move on to a ducted fan version which I've decided will be stealthy in appearance like the Tempest or Raptor.

IMG_20230901_152134358_HDR.jpg

You Certainly have a fine eye for detail that plan looks absolutely terrific,well done!👏 😎👍

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I received my November issue of the RCM&E magazine. I'm delighted to see that my Top Quark Seven Day Challenge article will appear in the December issue.

IMG_20231016_201227675_HDR.thumb.jpg.a97738bf75a7f3f742bd77e7d8cc4376.jpg

The two-sheet plan is in the bag and a second model is nearing completion for the purposes of build photos. Hopefully I will send off a build article to Kevin in a couple of weeks if the weather plays ball for some flying pictures.

IMG-20231017-WA0000.thumb.jpg.3a40bc27464c9318695866e55fbe3bdd.jpg

The second model colour scheme will be based on this F-86 Sabre.

IMG-20231017-WA0001.thumb.jpg.8e90da92c13eb4e25e0b12db4efdfb48.jpg

Edited by Futura57
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I performed a successful maiden flight of my second Top Quark prototype today on a nice sunny day at Epsom Downs race course. I tried a lower power outrunner – 2826 1400KV with 7 x 6 prop = 200W, compared to the first prototype – 2826 2200KV with 6 x 4 prop = 280W. The lower power was very noticeable and, whilst it flew perfectly okay, I did miss the power loops and knife edge that the first prototype (now 93 flights old) does with ease. I nearly put her into the ground a couple of times because I didn’t always compensate with a higher throttle stick position when cruising around. Also, she was a little tail heavy due to the slightly larger Rx and the addition of a battery tray. A club member took some Hi-res shots with his fancy camera for my intended plan/build article. When I get them they will supplement the build pictures I took during construction of the second prototype. I’m keen to get the article in the can and off to Kevin so I can resume work on my Strange Quark EDF variant.

IMG_20231111_152719889_HDR.thumb.jpg.326216147d5da51ee370b32bc7be1f90.jpg

IMG_20231111_152738998_HDR.thumb.jpg.e096e320b4ee240263f10b4b25a12f32.jpg

IMG_20231111_152848427_HDR.thumb.jpg.0a3c9aa1f07dac68341f01d18369e8f5.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, James Houck said:

The front of the model reminds me of the F-111 from many years ago. Looking forward to the article and plan. I would love to see a parts list in the article. 

There is a "Seven Day Challenge" in this December's RCM&E issue if you haven't seen it. The plan and build article are 'in the can', but good flying shots are like hens teeth. The weather isn't helping. Kevin likes to have everything all ready and together as a package before you send it to him. Straggling pictures can get lost or not reunited with the original submission I've been lead to believe. So I must be patient.

I agree, the nose is reminiscent of the F111, which had a completely ejectable cockpit module IIRC. The 'windscreen decals' on this model were an afterthought I must confess, but do a reasonably convincing job. I will consider including a parts list, though I suspect it will come at the cost of some text because of the overall article word count limit.

• 1 month later...

I've just uploaded to YouTube a more comprehensive demo flight of my original Top Quark design, taken at Epsom Downs Racecourse yesterday in 10mph winds. Just to prove it has some moves. As featured in the 'Seven Day Challenge' article in RCM&E Dec 2023. Enjoy.

• Like 2

Seems to fly very nicely, but that "beating" sort of a sound from the motor is very strange - does it always sound like that? Did you notice it on the day, or is it something to do witht he way the sound is picked up by the mic? I suppose it could also be aerodynamic and related to having one wing closely stacked behind the other...

2 hours ago, MattyB said:

Seems to fly very nicely, but that "beating" sort of a sound from the motor is very strange - does it always sound like that? Did you notice it on the day, or is it something to do witht he way the sound is picked up by the mic? I suppose it could also be aerodynamic and related to having one wing closely stacked behind the other...

I believe that 'throbbing resonance' as I call it has been present since day one. It is definitely peculiar. At first I thought it might be a noisy bearing or perhaps a rubbing magnet or even a dodgy propeller. I've built a second identical prototype with the exact same motor, a DYS2826 2200kV, and the model makes the same noise. I even tried a 1400kV version with a larger propeller, but it gives the same noise. I had thought the cowl may have something to do with it, being 'oversized' around the spinner leaving an annulus opening for air to enter. Both models have the exact same cowl shrink molded from a Schweppes ginger ale bottle. There are 4 x 8mm diameter airflow holes in the motor bulkhead allowing air to pass through into the fuselage out the jet pipe. IIRC this model was initially flown without a cowl, but I can't recall whether the noise was present then or if it was just less intense than it is now. Maybe the cowl is amplifying the motor sound or creating a resonance chamber. People do comment on it. Could be the cheap out-runners I'm using or the fuselage identifies as some strange new musical instrument.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Futura57 said:

I believe that 'throbbing resonance' as I call it has been present since day one. It is definitely peculiar. At first I thought it might be a noisy bearing or perhaps a rubbing magnet or even a dodgy propeller. I've built a second identical prototype with the exact same motor, a DYS2826 2200kV, and the model makes the same noise. I even tried a 1400kV version with a larger propeller, but it gives the same noise. I had thought the cowl may have something to do with it, being 'oversized' around the spinner leaving an annulus opening for air to enter. Both models have the exact same cowl shrink molded from a Schweppes ginger ale bottle. There are 4 x 8mm diameter airflow holes in the motor bulkhead allowing air to pass through into the fuselage out the jet pipe. IIRC this model was initially flown without a cowl, but I can't recall whether the noise was present then or if it was just less intense than it is now. Maybe the cowl is amplifying the motor sound or creating a resonance chamber. People do comment on it. Could be the cheap out-runners I'm using or the fuselage identifies as some strange new musical instrument.

Interesting. I guess the only way to tell for sure is do a flight minus the cowl - it sounds like that is the most likely candidate. If that does stop it, adjusting the cowl to allow air to exit from it directly (rather than solely back into the fuselage) would be a logical next step.

32 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Interesting. I guess the only way to tell for sure is do a flight minus the cowl - it sounds like that is the most likely candidate. If that does stop it, adjusting the cowl to allow air to exit from it directly (rather than solely back into the fuselage) would be a logical next step.

Actually, I quite like the distinctive sound. Call it a design feature 😬

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...