Scale Nationals at Buckminster Timetable

Geoff S

The weather looks good this week and I've always enjoyed the RC scale competition line at Barkston.  All I can find on-line is that the event extends from the 6th to the 10th of this month (ie this week).  I don't live too far from Buckminster and quite fancy a trip to watch but I'm not sure what's slated to happen on which days as it seems to include both free-flight and control line which interest me less than RC.  So what happens when? Anyone know?

Because of the problems with my left eye (the right is 100% OK) I haven't flown for ages but a gentle 50 miles each way to watch some scale may get me back in the mood.

The scale nationals has been combined with the Euro Scale Masters this year, hence the extension to five days to allow the required number of flights to be fitted in.

This will give the opportunity to see fliers and their models from all over Europe, as well as the UK competitors.

Buckminster had already been booked for the first day (Wednesday) for an aerobatics day so there will be no scale flying on that day, but the static judging starts then and the competitors will be assembling their models etc.

This is the provisional event schedule:

EVENT SCHEDULE
  • The following is the proposed timetable, weather dependent.  
  • Static shall begin at 1300 on Wednesday 6th and continue through to its completion on Thursday 7th
  • Flying shall begin at 1000 on Thursday 7th and at 0900 on Friday 8th, Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th
  • The flying and static orders shall be published from Tuesday 5th. 
  • There is some flexibilty, so if you cannot arrive for the commencement of the event, we shall be happy to accomodate this
  • Thursday 7th  - Rnd 1 of F4H and F4C
    Friday 8th       - Rnd 1 of Flying Only and Rnd 2 of F4H and F4C
    Saturday 9th  - Rnd 2 of Flying Only and Rnd 3 of F4H
    Sunday 10th   - Rnd 3 of Flying Only and Rnd 3 of F4C
  • Scale Control Line classes shall begin on Friday 8th at 1000
F4C is the ‘top level’ scale competition, F4H is what is often referred to as stand-off scale (still statically judged, but less critically) and flying only is just that (no static judging). The flying rounds are the same for all three.

Brian.
  • Like 3

Been thinking abut the missing Nationals for some time now. It would seem that the old Nationals at Barkston are now dead and burried. Whilst it is fine to be holding events at Buckminster it isnt the same as having a big old jamboree style get together. Are efforts being made by the BMFA to try and find a substitute venue for Barkston, or are we stuck with one off events at Buckminster.

Edited by Richard Acland
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Richard Acland said:

Are efforts being made by the BMFA to try and find a substitute venue for Barkston, or are we stuck with one off events at Buckminster.

I would suspect the latter unfortunately.

The BMFA apparently lost money on each of the Barkston Nats in recent times, and they clearly took a lot of organisation. The MoD, in refusing the continued use of Barkston for the annual Nats, probably did the BMFA a favour as it gave it the perfect excuse to discontinue them.

If active MoD sites are no longer available for this purpose, then the BMFA would have to look at suitable large privately-owned venues, which would only increase the cost further.

In its current situation (membership static or dwindling, which won't be improved on if further CAA restrictions are imposed upon us), I can't see the BMFA being in a position to be able to hold anything like the old-style Nats in the near future.

I would very much like to be proven wrong...

Brian.

9 hours ago, Richard Acland said:

Been thinking abut the missing Nationals for some time now. It would seem that the old Nationals at Barkston are now dead and burried. Whilst it is fine to be holding events at Buckminster it isnt the same as having a big old jamboree style get together. Are efforts being made by the BMFA to try and find a substitute venue for Barkston, or are we stuck with one off events at Buckminster.

It looks like that is the case.  I always enjoyed the Barkston Nats but I suspect, sadly, they're at an end.  Incidentally, they wouldn't have been brilliant this year as the weather was awful!  Hopefully, the scale nationals this week will be better weatherwise and we're booked in to take the 'van tomorrow until Sunday and hoping for a relaxing few days watching toy aeroplanes 🙂