Wot 4 mk3 tapered wing

Steven Hurd

Hi there 

Has  anybody built the above Chris Foss kit, but built it with the wing options. 

I’m interested in thoughts on lightening the foam wing as per the option drawings, did it make a difference? 

And also the larger ailerons for “ sparkling roll rate” which involves cutting 1/2 inch off the rear of the wings trailing edge and then sticking a piece of 1/2 inch balsa to the aileron stock to make the ailerons larger. This seems a lot of work, but does it make a lot of difference to the roll rate etc, or is the roll rate ok without it? 

just looking for opinions before I start hacking into a perfectly good wing 

thanks 

steve 

• Like 1

Advert

Steve,

One of my old clubmates who is no longer with us cut lightening holes into his taper winged WOT 4, it didn't seem perform any better than a solid wing so I'd question whether it is really worth the extra effort.

I increased the area of the ailerons, elevator and rudder on my last WOT 4 and it did make a difference if you like lots of authority, that said this was on the parallel winged version which I prefer. 

Rich

Thanks for the input, 

I have had a weigh of the wings, and did a rough calculation of the weight against area of the material removed. My sums came to 1.25 ounces per wing, so I’m now clear that this would not really be worth the extra effort. 

May  I ask Richard, when you made the aileron surfaces bigger, did you follow the option instructions of taking 1/2 inch off the back of the wing then adding the same to aileron? Or did you just make the surface bigger, I’ve looked at the wing and either would seem to work, but the latter would be a lot easier. 

thanks 

steve