WOT 4 Foam-E Mk2 motor mounting - how much movement is normal?

Robin Colbourne

I've recently been given a well flown Wot 4 Foam-E Mk2.

The motor can rock up and down by a few degrees (approx 3mm, measured at the front of the prop adaptor).  When looking at the nose area from below, I can see that the transverse metal plate about 1/2" from the front of the fuselage moves relative to the foam around it.  Is this normal?

If its is not normal, options seem to be to put some glue between the metal and the foam and/or put a shim of, say thin plywood in front of the plate to take up the slack.

Has anyone else had similar issues and if so, what did you do about it?

Edited by Robin Colbourne
Its a Mk2

• Robin Colbourne changed the title to WOT 4 Foam-E Mk2 motor mounting - how much movement is normal?

Common fault as the model gains flying hours. It can be made solid again but the foam will still compress and the mount will continue to move until flying the model seems as though you have a radio problem. I changed the fuselage once but the new one eventually went the same way until 🔥🔥🔥🔥Nice flyer though. Colin

• Like 1

I've now used a sliver of yoghurt pot to push some Deluxe Materials 'Foam 2 Foam' adhesive into all the joints, and this has really stiffened everything up.  I have yet to do the gap between the front of the transverse metal plate and the foam in front of it, but that may not be necessary.

The brown goop appears to be some sort of epoxy used previously to effect a similar repair previously, however it had delaminated from the EPO foam.  I've chiselled off what I could of it, but some that is stuck to the metal is providing a bit more contact area for the Foam 2 Foam, so I've left it.  Here are a few shots post repair.1123261276_IMG_30461.thumb.JPG.db6d57576f36c7f2cb6aed42dc9a99aa.JPG

108450359_IMG_30491.thumb.JPG.49e6ae1f9f4065d2af95110ea1b43a02.JPG

1495989788_IMG_30501.thumb.JPG.6185f3c2a27d03ac7373cb96033e3be1.JPG

Edited by Robin Colbourne