Generally available Petrol proof paint or lacquer recommendations please.

I am looking to paint a model, preferably with some water based acrylic paint, the model is covered in Solartex. As it will be running a petrol engine is there a suitable satin varnish of clear sealer that can be brushed or thinned and sprayed on to the paint to seal it from the petrol. If you have used something that works could you point me in the direction of the supplier. Many thanks.

Advert

You shouldnt get much oil etc on the airframe from petrol so most enamel varnishes would be ok but be careful as many go brown with age. Ive recently used Guild enamels that ive been very pleased with and would be fuel proof wuthout and clearcoat over them .They do a gloss or matt clear fuel proof varnish that seems to stay clear and will ho over acrylic ok. A thin coat of the gloss should give a satin finish and you can either by the brushable  and thin with a dtop of cellulose for spraying or buy it in aerosols. If brushing thin it with white spirit as it dries very quickly for an enamel ( or hybrid enamel).

The longer you can allow them to fully cure in a dry and warm environment, the better the fuel resistance they develop I find (think of all the years old paint in your house that can be a devil to take off, even with Nitromors)  although glow fuel will always attack the finish to some extent. Worth considering how best to time the job so the model is not ready for flight only a short time after the paint job's complete.

Best stuff is two-pack, but obviously not everyone's able to deal with that material or chooses to do so. I've avoided it myself up to now.

Edited by Cuban8