Servo Grease

Silicone grease could cause issue with the feedback pot, if it gets in it.

You need something ok for electrical environments, and nylon, like, Electrolube SPG.

I've no idea what's in hitec grease, but you certainly don't get much of it for your money!

On 24/10/2023 at 20:09, Nigel Heather said:

Have some older servo, nylon and metal gear that I’d like to service.

When it comes to greasing the gears, is it worth paying a bit extra for dedicated servo grease (like that from Hitec) or will generic white lithium be just as good?

Cheers,

Nigel

The correct grade of grease is often vital in certain applications, but I've always gone with standard white lithium grease for servo gears, plastic/metal,  despite the recommendation that being a petroleum based product, it might attack plastic and rubber parts.

I would use standard greases when rebuilding plastic mechanisms such as worm drives used in the equipment that I used to maintain for a living back in the day. I've never come across any evidence of a problem caused by lithium grease, but of course, that doesn't mean that certain uses might throw up an unexpected problem in the longer term.

If all you have is standard lithium grease for your servo rebuild then I would have no worry about using it based on past experience. It won't hurt to pay a pound or two for a different type if it means that you'll be happier with it. Whatever you decide to go with, just a tiny smear on the teeth is all that's needed. Excess that squeezes out on to the gear sides does nothing except possibly find its way to where it might cause an issue.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 2