Topgun Spitfire

Steve Skipp

Steve - in answer to your question about C of G: I found a great site at http://www.adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm on which you can calculate C of G. The only difficult factor I have found is that the Spitfire does not have a "wing tip chord" as it effectively comes to a point. However, I measured everything at the end of the aileron and also at the very end of the wing tip and here are the two results: With Static Margin (SM) at 10% (must be between 5% and 15%) the C of G is back from the leading edge by 4.75 inches using aileron-end measurements or 5.25 inches using end-of-wing measurements. 5 inches is therefore the average and looks to be spot on! I only did the calculations AFTER setting the plane up! About 4 inches would equate to a 15% SM which the web page says is best for greater stability BUT makes the plane nose heavy. Seems to match practical experience.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well finally got round to maiden the Spit by the club expert, no drama, flew very smoothly and scale like with the RCV 91-CD up front sounded very realistic too. Just one problem mine also tips onto nose on landing so will adjust for more elevator movement and rake U/C forward a few degree's. All up weight 10.5 Ibs just needed to add 2 strips of weights fixed to engine mount and battery strapped to the other side of mount.

• 3 weeks later...

Read all the comments with great interrest as I am just about to start building mine and there are obviously a few things to take on board. I was planning on starting with the cockpit area and making this more appropriate by putting a false floor and instrument panel, may also look at sliding canopy as the moulding is well shaped and quite robust.

Also considering flaps on the wings although this needs carefull surgery or I'll end up having a respray job.

Motor will be an OS120 4 stroke, have made working exhausts in the past but I think the space maybe to limited with the bulkhead moulding.

Lindsay look forward to hearing how you get on building and flying your Spit. I flew mine for the first time yesterday (no drama flies like its on rails) after having continual problems getting the engine to run without cutting out below 20 percent throttle, fitted an on board glow unit which cured the problem and as an added bonus, I don't have to conect up a glow starter now, I would highly recommend these little gadgets especialy on inverted engines. Working exhausts would be great but too complicated for me to fabricate even if there was room for them, I compromised by drilling holes through the exhaust stubs into the cowl, helps with cooling. But be ready with the glue as I'm forever snapping mine off, copper pipes brazed to a plate would be the answer and would also help with CG.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have just  flown my TG Spit. for the first time. This is a very sweet flyer. Retracts have been improved with oleos from YT International.

Almost forgot to mention mines electric.

Tornado Thumper 6364 motor

Jeti 100A ESC

Tornado pro 36 v battery pack (2 X 18)

16 X 10 APC prop

1400 watts at @ 40Amps .112 watts per pound!!

All Up Weight  12.5 pounds. No added lead

Absolutely rocks!

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...