FrSky X8R not binding with Taranis x9d v 2.2.3

Stephen Jones

Hi, Hope someone can offer some help with a Receiver that will not bind to my Radio.

My Taranis x9D is currently on v2.2.3 and all my current Rx work fine I recently bought a X8R ACCST Rx and it will not bind I already have a X4R and X6R they works fine.

I think I am looking at updating the firmware in the Rx only so that I can preserve all my other Rx here is a list of what I have.

Delta 8, V8R7-II, X4R, X6R, VD5M.

I can not get hold of the VD5M any more and as I use these for my indoor models I do NOT want to do anything that would result in me not being able to use these little Receivers any more. 

I may have other types of Receivers as well. 

Its Just this X8R ACCST Rx that I need to work.

Cheers Steve.

Steve, it’s likely that the X8R receiver that you have has a different version of ACCST firmware to the transmitter. This has nothing to do with the version of Open TX operating system that your Taranis transmitter has.

There are four versions of ACCST firmware: Version 1 and Version 2, both with two variances for EU and elsewhere. If your receiver has a different version to your transmitter it won’t bind. Unfortunately there is nothing on your transmitter to tell you the version, unless it has a sticker on it (EU LBT) but you still have Version 1 or 2 to contend with, also the possibility that the transmitter version has been changed since it was made.

You have two options as far as I know.

Either load the receiver with each version of firmware in turn, attempting to bind it after each load, until you find the right one.

Or (better) load the new Universal firmware that doesn’t care which version of firmware is in the transmitter. This is a little bit more involved as you need to ask the distributor (T9 in the UK, or Aloft Hobbies) for an unlock code, but it works well.

Your other option would be to send the receiver to T9 and they will do it for a small charge plus return postage.

There is another thread on this forum on this very subject, titled ‘Universal Receiver ACCST Firmware’. Unfortunately I can’t work out how to include a link to it here (I’m just using a phone), but the most recent posting was only about four days ago, so you will be able to find it by looking back in recent posts.

None of the above will affect your transmitter and therefore your other receivers in any way.

I hope that helps.

Brian.

6 minutes ago, RottenRow said:

Steve, it’s likely that the X8R receiver that you have has a different version of ACCST firmware to the transmitter. This has nothing to do with the version of Open TX operating system that your Taranis transmitter has.

There are four versions of ACCST firmware: Version 1 and Version 2, both with two variances for EU and elsewhere. If your receiver has a different version to your transmitter it won’t bind. Unfortunately there is nothing on your transmitter to tell you the version, unless it has a sticker on it (EU LBT) but you still have Version 1 or 2 to contend with, also the possibility that the transmitter version has been changed since it was made.

You have two options as far as I know.

Either load the receiver with each version of firmware in turn, attempting to bind it after each load, until you find the right one.

Or (better) load the new Universal firmware that doesn’t care which version of firmware is in the transmitter. This is a little bit more involved as you need to ask the distributor (T9 in the UK, or Aloft Hobbies) for an unlock code, but it works well.

Your other option would be to send the receiver to T9 and they will do it for a small charge plus return postage.

There is another thread on this forum on this very subject, titled ‘Universal Receiver ACCST Firmware’. Unfortunately I can’t work out how to include a link to it here (I’m just using a phone), but the most recent posting was only about four days ago, so you will be able to find it by looking back in recent posts.

None of the above will affect your transmitter and therefore your other receivers in any way.

I hope that helps.

Brian.

Thanks Brian I downloaded a firmware for the X8R from FrSky but it say its not compatible with 2.2.X .

So a bit stuck as to where I can get the firmware from.

large.2004232942_FrSkyX8RRx.jpg.47e0382eacbe16a5c9b509ea323f781b.jpg

large.Taranis.jpg.8f82fb49a3c5148574d8f03f495b84b0.jpg

Steve.

Can you tell us which protocol the X4R and the X6R are working on ? It should show in "settings".

I presume it is D16 ?

Some where on the TX should be an EU/LBT sticker. Can you confirm this?

It should then be a choice of 2 firmware's for the receiver - V1 or V2

Once we have worked out what the TX protocol is we can probably advise which firmware to download and install.

(I also assume you have D8 protocol as you have Delta 8, V8R7-II receivers. ?)

Steve, the latest FrSky firmware is here...

https://www.frsky-rc.com/x8r/

The line that says 'not compatible with version 2.X.X' is referring to the older versions (Version 1) which you will get a history of if you click on that line, but you don't need to do that. As I mentioned in my previous post, this is nothing to do with the version 2.2.3 Open TX in your transmitter, but is referring to the fact that ACCST version 2 isn't compatible with the older versions.

The bag that your receiver came in has a label EU LBT on it and the receiver itself probably has the same label. This means the receiver is flashed with the EU version of the firmware. If it is a newly purchased receiver then it would be Version 2 EU LBT. As it doesn't bind then your transmitter has a different firmware version, probably Version 1, either EU or otherwise.

When you buy a new receiver you can specify which version of firmware it is loaded with (well you can with T9 anyway).

The Universal firmware that I mentioned in my previous post is not on the FrSky website (as it isn't their own firmware, but it is endorsed by them). If you look up the other thread that I mentioned it gives you all of the details of how to do it on there. As I have now worked out how to insert a link to that thread, here it is...

The Universal firmware has a few extra features as well as being able to be used without worrying about the version of transmitter that you have, though you probably won't need to worry about those at all.

I flashed a few X8Rs a week ago and they all worked fine.

Brian.

UNI firmware is here: https://forum.alofthobbies.com/index.php?threads/uni-receiver-firmware-release-files-universal-accst-d16.3270/

The second post of that thread has a Guide (in pdf format) explaining how to flash and use it.

The version of openTx (2.2.3 in your case) does not matter, the firmware for the X8R needs to match the firmware in the internal XJT module.

If you have downloaded "X8R X6R FW20180322.zip", then it is likely that is the firmware you need for the X8R.

If you go for the UNI firmware, this automatically detects the firmware on the internal XJT at bind time. If you ever update the firmware on the XJT module, then UNI will just need binding.

Mike

• Like 1

Steve, you are almost there. You now have to request an unlock code from T9 Hobbysport or Aloft Hobbies (via e-mail).

My original post mentioned this, and it is explained in the guide that you will find in the link that Mike posted.

Briefly, you run a LUA script file on your transmitter which produces a unique code (12 digits if I remember correctly). Send this code to T9 or Aloft and they will send you back the unlock code, which you enter using the same script.

The servos will then work normally.

Make sure that you bind the receiver in telemetry mode, otherwise you won’t get the code from the receiver. I don’t think the guide mentioned that.

Brian.

Sorry guys am a bit lost.

Their are different scripts for different tx which is the one for me is their a file I download or do I copy paste.

Ok so i have found the icon to download the file which i have done. so where do i put it on my tx and how do i run it. ? cheers

Steve. confused i am

Edited by Stephen Jones