External Module for a TX16S

Graham Davies 3

Hi All,

Following on from my post relating to range issues on my TX16S Mk2, I'm going to try an external module. It appears that the CC2500 chipset in the standard multi protocol module MAY be responsible for a low RF output on certain protocols. From Mike Blandford's results, the FrSky DJT and XJT modules achieve around 15dB more received signal under a comparative test. As I have had range issues, I want to try to tip the balance in my favour.

Can anyone advise a few things?

• If I use an external module in the TX16 (running edge), is everything the same from an operating point of view, apart from just selecting the external module and associated protocols in the model set up?
  • Does the RSSi telemetry work the same?
  • Has anyone used these modules in a TX16S?
  • Has anyone used any other modules successfully in the TX16S? If I'm honest, I'd prefer to use the FrSky ones as I know Mike had good RF results, and I have FrSky X8R receivers
  • Does anyone know if the XJT and DJT will work with both the X8R receivers, and also ACCST clones (such as the radiomaster R88s)
  • Does anyone know the differences between DJT and XJT? Which is the best to go for?

If one of these works, an additional £40 or so gets me back in the game. Otherwise it's a new TX, which will make me a bit glum...

Thanks all

Graham

The DJT is no longer legal in the UK and Europe! In any case, it only supports The FrSky 'D8' protocol and the older 'V' protocol.

The XJT does also support the 'D8' protocol, but is really intended for the 'D16' protocol that the X8R uses.

I just checked a XJT in my TX16S and it works fine (so the hardware is OK, I don't know about edgeTx as I use erskyTx).

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Blandford said:

The DJT is no longer legal in the UK and Europe! In any case, it only supports The FrSky 'D8' protocol and the older 'V' protocol.

The XJT does also support the 'D8' protocol, but is really intended for the 'D16' protocol that the X8R uses.

I just checked a XJT in my TX16S and it works fine (so the hardware is OK, I don't know about edgeTx as I use erskyTx).

Mike

Perfect, thanks Mike

Morning Mike, all,

So on the face of it, a FrSky XJT module restores my signal link confidence and all is well in  my world...

Apart from the fact that I can't get hold of one! It appears that FrSky no longer sell them...

Mike, you mentioned 'other MPM modules' that gave you 100dB at 5 ft. Can you tell me what they are please?

Are there any good quality, reliable TX modules that will fit my TX16S that will work with D8 and later FrSky telemetry receivers? Preferably that are available to buy!

Thank you

Graham

Hi Jake

Thats really interesting for me about your experiences with ELRS and Graham’s experiences with poor range on R88 rx’s are also familiar.

I too have been less than impressed with the range of some V1 R88 Radiomaster receivers I have especially when I have tried them in gliders which I tend to fly further away.  Moving antennae in the models and tuning the tx output seemed to make very little difference in the end.

I have a Betaflight ELRS module that I have spent some time updating firmware on and have a Betaflight Micro 5 channel rx, a Betaflight Super P 14 channel rx and a Radiomaster ER8G 8 channel rx to try.  There is some interesting information on Mike Shellim’s RC soaring site about setting up ELRS receivers and Oscar Liang seems to show useful stuff too.  

What has been your experience with setting up your rx’s Jake? And Did you get to grips with the channel 5 issue without too many issues?