Another Ransome Mastiff

Burls

Hi all, 

new to the group, found whilst searching for mower info but l am also into RC and from the land down under

l have acquired a Ransome mastiff 30”, which has not been used for about seven years, this maybe because it does start. ATM it does not have spark, plug checked and changed - no fix. There is 4 wires coming from the case, yellow, yellow black, a brown and a black. These went to a terminal block but that’s it. Does anyone know where or how these are routed?

Hi burls,

Visit ransomes website for exploded views of parts book, also get a wiring diagram...

Again, flywheel mag, flywheel mag with cb points, CDI ignition system, dead man handle.....

Can you gain access to flywheel area, any windows in flywheel to see what's underneath perhaps ?

Electric start, reg/rec ?

Reg/rec.....regulator/rectifier.....

I take it she will NOT start/run....

Side valve, ohv, ohc ???

Seven years is well long enought for stuff it stick, like VALVES, but you have been cranking it ( and no doubt the air has been "blue" from time to time 😃 ) so if damage was to be done, it's probably done now.

Any compression, does engine have very tight spots/horrible noises ?

Can you get acitone locally ?

Enjoy and remember, a "please god....' can work miracles sometimes...😸

Edited by Rich Griff

Some update

l have contacted Ransome and have all the manuals l need but still no wiring diagram for the 4 wires coming from the coil plate. Compression is around 80psi so believe this would be enough to make noise -be it good or bad. So far l have not been able to get it to start due to it not producing a spark. I have tried a new plug and checked the coils, condenser and points for serviceability and they all look acceptable. I don’t have any tested to test coils or condenser. This is a non battery, non elec start model.

You’ll need to buy, beg, steal or borrow a test meter. Even a cheapo one will do. Then you will be able to check that the coils are not open circuit, and that the points do actually make a circuit when closed.

Also make sure that the magnet in the flywheel is still magnetised (it should attract a screwdriver blade).

I don’t know how the cam that opens the points is attached to the flywheel but they must be in the correct relationship to each other. There may be a woodruff key that has sheared or is missing.

Brian.

Thanks for the reply Brian. I have managed to work out the wiring and found the points were not conducting and also set with no gap. I now have spark and onto the next part of the puzzle the carby. It is very gummed up with dried fuel(white powder) so have been soaking for the last few days. Hopefully l can get it apart and don’t break anything

• Like 1