Using Sanding Sealer Question

What do folks use under film to strengthen/prep their sheeted airframes? I'm going to be using HK film that has just arrived in three colours and I want to toughen up the soft wood a bit... Do people use thinned shrinking dope? or thinned non-shrinking dope? Sanding sealer or no sanding sealer? I'll be prepping for a leccy, so no fuel proofing required. It will just be about getting her pretty and pretty-tough!

Advert

Thanks Phil. Does it give you that bit of "ding protection" and does the film go on ok afterwards? I spent an hour watching that solarfilm tutorial DVD on youtube and that gave some absolutely invaluable tips, but nothing on what to do to make the squishiest of balsa a bit tougher from hanger rash dings...

Posted by Barrie Lever on 14/04/2020 15:56:46:

Yes many good points raised in this thread and shows the multitude of techniques to get to the end point.

I think I last film covered a model about 30 years ago, I put too much work into my models to let them be film covered!!

B.

Oddly enough these days I have the reverse philosophy, I put too much work into my models to go near them with paintbrush or spraygun! Wasn't always so blush

My previous advice was given to me by an expert builder in our club, he builds a lot with tissue on flat balsa. To get a harder finish over tissue he uses 50-50 non shrinking v shrinking dope. I have used the HK film from Rapid RC it’s very good, have not had to use a coating of any sort over my previous flat balsa build the HK covering gave me a good protective finish. Another option for ding protection is coating with Poly C, agin from RC. I am currently covering a Cambara Spit using 1/3 mix as an undercoat and then applying tissue on the smooth finish and then polyC to give a harder finish, I then spray. Good luck.