Ripmax - Wot Trainer Production Problems !!

BB

There is no doubt that the Wot 4 is probably the best designed and most popular Aerobatic I.C. RC plane available for the club enthusiast for the last 20 - 30 years or so. However, there are now many competitors to that crown.

Along comes the Wot Trainer from the same great designer.  By all accounts a great plane.

Being bitten by the bug last year, I've been flying what a lot of you chaps call 'toys', mainly Parkzone.  Though featured in Decembers RCM&E as not such a toy. A Typhoon 3D is on my pic profile.

But, I wanted to go 'nitro head', looked around, who was advertising what and so on. Settled on the 'New'  Wot Trainer. Bought it.

Problems;

1) The small cutaway on the cowling is designed for a standard '40-46' carb. Not the new OS 40 - 46 al or ax 2 stroke. You will need to turn the card setting arm 90 degrees.

2) Ripmax have ok'd a piano wire through snake system in the production that doesn't work.  You will have to;

A) Replace the piano wire for the Elevator & Rudder with a suitable 'plastic' alternative.

B) Cut out the base of the fusealage completley from rudder to reciever plate in order to replace control arm snakes to Elevator & Rudder.

I phoned Chris Foss tonight.  Their opinion was that the 'known' faults were nothing to do with them.  Chris had sold the build rights to Ripmax and quality control was for Ripmax to deal with.  It was pointed out to me that it states on the box that the kit was produced by 'Ripmax'.  I have the box, and 'that' fact isn't plainly obvious. It was also stated to me that Chris Foss was aware of the problem, but, the rights were sold ! And the problem is with Ripmax.

If I had been a 'complete' new comer to this brilliant sport. I would have assumed 'no' problem, launched and crashed ! Costing me !  Would I continue?

Fortunatley I know better. But for the less informed. I have been told that the problems with this kit ARE being solved and should be corrected by the 3rd delivery - March 2009.

Advert

It's one they never sent us for review (despite our requests) but I have seen them and flown them and they do fly very well. Chris is a perfectionist so I'm sure he's frustrated. Percevere with it as, like I say, they do fly well as all Chris' designs do. There was a long thread about the model in the beginners section - assume you've seen Bas ?

Er... what??? This comes as a surprise as I've not heard anything but praise from Wot Trainer owners... other than the loose hinges thing, which was sorted ages ago...

"Cut out the base of the fusealage (sic) completley (sic) from rudder to reciever (sic) plate ..." Huh???

My son Dave has a Wot Trainer, absolutely standard. The piano wire pushrods work fine without binding or slop... as they do in other Wot Trainers I've seen down at the field...

The OS46LA fits easily (see photo) and the plate is intended to move 90 degrees if necessary... whats the problem?

Dave's aileron hinges are secure too, no additional pinning was necessary...

Maybe your kit had been damp & had slightly corroded piano wire? Or just one rogue kit?

Stephen - no need to hold off, its an excellent flyer and I'm sure you'd be very pleased with it.

Phil

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/32652/os46la_wot_trainer.jpg

If an update is due in March then I'd wait, just to be sure you get any improvements. Be honest, how often would you fly it in Jan/Feb?  I'd double check that you're not being passed old stock though!

I very much respect Chris's opinion, but I just wanted to balance things a bit with our positive findings.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...