Foam Cutting

Some time ago (2 - 3 years) an article in RCM&E contained details of a DIY power supply for use with a bow for cutting foam wing blanks. I feel sure that it was a letter on the "All Write" page.

The power supply was built from various bit from the electical department of B&Q, including a dimmer switch and a transformer intended for domestic halogen spotlights.

I would like to have a go at making the power supply (or having one made by a qualified sparky) & cutting some wings. I already have the cutting bow, but I have lost the magazine with the article in it.

Does anybody have the magazine article,or  any details of what items were used, and how they were wired up?

Thanks

Advert

Bob

You could use an electric flight nicad pack with a brushed ESC and a servo tester to adjust the current flow, as I know a lot of people do.

The pack can be fastened to the cutting bow to save having trailing wires, if you want.

HTH

Bert

Well it certainly requires practice, and two people is best . Root and tip end templates of hard wood or lithoplate or similar are  pinned to the foam core  at root and tip, marked with counting numbers, and evenly spaced to ensure the bow wire is moved across the whole chord at the same speed.

Bob,

You could try an old AT computer power supply, as there are still some knocking about  for free. I fitted mine with 4mm power posts  on the 12 and 5 volt side so it makes a handy general purpose power supply for the shed. I know there is a thread on one of the forums for converting an old ATX power supply which will do the same job.

Cheers,

Chris.

i use a variac it came out of  a  arc  welder . there is a whole bank of them in a welder and when a welder goes bad they usualy throw all of them out and rebuild with new ones. if you know of a welder supply place you might pick a used one reasonably. they have more power than you will ever use. and they
have there own voltage control

about cutting i hang mine from a steel rod with a linaer bearing to give a smooth ride, you don't want any thing to wiggle while your cutting. the bow  is pulled thru the foam and over the end templates by hand using   two insulated wire hooks. the bow has two
weights that are positioned to  put  upword  or downword force against the cutting wire
depending  on whitch you are cutting the top or bottom of the wing.

the rod  is supporeted above the table from both ends. it requires only one person to operate it.

clark

What sort of foam are you using and where do you get it from? I remeber some years ago reading that roacell was good or builders blue foam from diy stores. Never tried it myself but reading about it might have a go. I intend building from a plan that specifies ribs  le and te are parallel so could i just use root and tip ribs as a template or is it more complex than that

I would advise against using a variac on the mains supply, there is no isolation with one of these variable transformers. If the cutting wire breaks or is disconnected while connected to the mains, the voltage will float up to that of the mains supply with possibly tragic results.

Bert