Polycrylic and Talc

In one of the columns there was information on the use of Minwax Polycrylic varnish and talcum powder as a filler for Depron before painting. I can't find the article and if anyone has experience with this could you tell me the proportion of powder to varnish and what were the results?

Jack Higgins.

Advert

The varnish I used was RONSEAL CLEAR SATIN ACRYLIC, and I used about a heaped tablespoon of talc in the 250ml pot.
Different makes of water-based acrylic varnish vary in consistency but there is a point at which the mixture becomes sludge and will not paint on properly so just add a bit at a time until it reaches a consistency that is thick enough to fill the furry edge of the Depron where it has been sanded, but not so thick you can't brush it out properly.
Best to leave it in a warm place overnight so it's really hard, before attacking it with 400-grade wet or dry paper.
Hope this helps,
Nigel Hawes.

• 5 years later...

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but I have just watched a video of a chap building a Windrider B737. In the video, he paints on some Polycrylic straight on to the EPO surface.

I am presuming that this is to strengthen the EPO and give it a kind of 'glassed' hardness to try and resist dings and bangs, but can you cover straight over this once hardened, or even paint over it?

It seems to leave a lovely looking surface.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 06/02/2014 13:57:58