Pick -a- 'plane discussions

Tim Mackey

Advert

If memeory serves me well, last year was a two stsge affair.

The first to establish the front runners, then the grand vote, well a second vote.

At the end of the day, it is what David, decides what is appropriate, given the circumstances.

|I guess a major issue is size, I like small models, up to 50", unless powered gliders, as I fly electric. Many others want 70" and upwards, as they are IC flyers.

And, will I like the model, Hmmmmmm, I can see why now the Spitfires et al  keep being selected.

Erfolg  

I hope he does not want foam and electric. I asked for an amphibious (in a sense) design for IC. Looking at models designed for electric power, a fair bit more would need to be done to convert to IC than from IC to electric. If Tony decides to go for an amphibious design then small size and and flying off water can be very limiting. Remember that water does not stay level. Come to that, small size and wind do not seem to work so well either.

So far as Esoteric subjects are concerned, if you are keen enough on a subject, then you will put in the time your self and design your own model.
I've been designing my Stranraer and found out yesterday that there is a commercially available plan (for 2 x .40 2 strokes)...  I have only spent a few hours working on my design, so I am not stressed.  The available plan will be a great start .

Cheers,

Hugh

FTB - I agree with half of what you say - I prefer electric at the moment due to self-imposed restrictions in order to keep my field, but I won't touch foam with a borrowed bargepole!  In my little world, proper model aeroplanes are made of proper materials - balsa, plywood, spruce, piano wire. No foam, and none of this awful 'liteply'.

My cry is "what is wrong with foam"?

I use more foam these days for highly contoured shapes. Cowls, turtle decks, etc. Principally "Blue Foam", it is light, quite strong. It just does not like some adhesives Impact with solvents, or polyester resin. Ohh it is far cheaper than balsa.

Have a look at the Hercules link, to see what some can do with "white foam".

Erfolg

Guy's, on the first "love"  wing, i shaped up, foam, white  for the nacelles and blue for the U/C doors. Was not happy with the result. The dogs "ran all over the wing " and start again. as you can see in my "build" the extra effort, needed on the nacelles, out of built up balsa, was a better option, as for the U/C doors, a cheap balsa  'plug" undercut shaped to match the outline, and then "resin covered" , was a lighter and more satisfactory result.
 OK it takes time, but, there are times  and outlines when foam does not "cut the mustard"......wh....... barry  

A plan of any sort is only of use to builders, people who actually buy a load of Balsa and other stuff and start from a clean board but this ability is becoming less of an option in todays 'modern' society where it is easier to buy everything in a box and put together in an hour.
I may be treading on a few bunions here but I dont class ARTF  flyers as model makers because they didnt make it only assembled it like one of Airfix's products but with even less work., to be a model maker you need to start from a sheet of paper called a plan.
I would prefer something different be it a warbird or whatever with the alternative of a built up wing rather than a lump of foam.
I have decided that, in general, people do not have a broad knowledge of historic aircraft   so we have the same suggestions over and over when there are far better options if only you look for them.
This is why I am not holding my breath hoping for some magazine to produce a Dornier 335 plan and have decided to look at producing my own, the prototype V4 was the prototype for the H-0 high altitude version and had a lengthened wing which would make a great PSS or glider if the weight is kept reasonable.
You dont need to fit an engine at both ends so construction is pretty straight-forward, the bulkheads for the oval section fuselage was soon sorted by looking at how Tony did the Typhoon fuse, wings are also no problem conventional structure using upper and lower spruce spars with webs in between.
Up to now it looks a go so may have a nice toy to play with this summer,

regards,     Terry

Terry, there is a plan of the Do. 335 by the German Mag. VTH, it is 1850mm span for 2 x 10cc or 10cc front, 6 cc rear. Might be a challenge translating the instructions etc. (Just Google VTH de. ) I have ordered plans from them before, they will use English language.

Terence

I would be very interested in a Dornier 335. the size you are building is a little to large for me. I would be looking for something in the 50" span. I am looking for two 150-200w motors, using 2 * 2000 there abouts lipos.

When you build it, it may be of interest, to RCM&E.

Do a build blogg, that way i can see how you do it and hopefully pinch your methods and ideas.

I have Eric Browns book with his experience flying the 355. I have also read of a Mustangs pilot attempts to intercept and keep pace with one, whilst it was escaping to Spain. It appears to have been a formable aircraft.

Erfolg

">Photobucket" width="350" alt="" />

How about this one? its not a warbird its no longer in production, in fact there only was one ever built and I think it looks a little different, it was also the first aircraft built by this company that had retractable gear.

Could be a relatvely simple build with scope for a scale fanatic to do their own thing,  I am sure most if not all of you know what it is and who made it.

Terence L, a few years ago ( 4/5) Ken Sheppard, (ithink he is with Model world or was) did a 3 issue build on the Do 355, using an electric on the rear, and a I.C. on the front. there were some drawings, i think pulished, but the "build" was quite informative.
I  also have a fancy for it, only the rear engines long drive shaft is daunting,but not out of the question, 
 I would be looking at a 50" to 60" E.P or a 60 to 75 for I.C .
 I have those mags somewhere,I will endeavour to "dig" the up.................  B 

Tony

That is certainly the one (lysander) in my book. Other references refer to it being for a possible night fighter and coastal defence role. How you would lore that Ju 88, to come astern is a mystery to me, or how the gunner would know that a target was just about to come into view, seems another practical issue. Rather like trying to see what is coming whilst travelling in a rear facing train seat.

Terrance/Barry

If an electric inrunner (conventional) brushless is used for the rear position the drive shaft may not be needed for the 335? West Wings do a kit for about £20, think it is 18" span, I have thought of buying one for the plan. Then scaling it up. But seems a lot of money for something which I cannot directly use.

Tony

That is some ugly light aircraft. Looks like some one has grafted the roof of there Morris Minor onto a  collection of scrap Duralumin, with the tail from a Thunderbolt. Is it a Beagle or some such. God it is ugly.

Erfolg 

Erfolg, Kens build did not use a rear shaft, i was prempting a model with a I.C in the rear, located up where the original engine was.
There must be other plans around, but I don't know of many. It is another of those aircraft, that "you see it, you fall in love" with it.
 Lets turn the concept around, put , E.P in both ends, The wing platform is quite large at the root, so lift is not a problem. Long tail moment will need to be kept light,but the E.P in the rear won't need as much reinforcing as an I.C fitted.
2 x 550k with  2 x 2500mh should be enough for a 65" /70" span. ( Timbo, were are you).
 A.U.P appox 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 kgs  ( x by 2.2 for lbs).. Any thoughts  guys......   B   

The Long EZ seems to be very much a "niche" model. I was disapointed not to see one fly at Woodvale a couple/three years ago. The dealer had a few for sale but had decomissioned the one he had been flying at sometime somewhere. Had he flown it I might have been tempted, however I was not going for it without a Demo. It is on my long list of maybe, sometime.

I do like the "Stranraer" which has been mentioned.. A pic of a really nice scale one flying at Loch Insh, perhaps by Jeremy Shaw, is my computer "wallpaper". Not one perhaps for the "pic-a-plane".