Zulu E

Tony Cooper

I decided to have a go at building from a plan, and chose the Zulu E in Feb's RCM&E  by Lindsay Todd

The thrust line for the motor is not marked, at least I have not found it . If Lindsay or anyone could sugest where it should be, I would be obliged

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 28/03/2009 19:15:28

Advert

Hi, with the number of motors around and the choice of props it can be difficult and it just got omitted. Basically the motor centre line is 25mm down from the top centre of the bulkhead, there is no need for any right thrust or down thrust. (basically the motor mounts central in the cowl apperture). If you up grade the power significantly then I would suggest 1' right thrust. I hope you enjoy building and flying her, I have and still do.
Lindsay

Hi Folks,
                 almost got the basic fuse built or at least it is 3-dimensional now, have all the wing ribs cut but then came to a standstill on it while I build a slow-flyer to play with in the garden but at present would have to dodge snow storms.
I have decided to join the local model flying club so although I can fly Kamikazi-style, I will need to be far more gentlemanly and do it proper-like wot they do so built a high wing trainer which had a S400 plus 2.33/1 gearbox but I have just gutted it and fitted a Turnigy 2830 brushless which should help it perform a bit better.
The Zulu E will follow on as a low wing trainer fitted with a Turnigy  TR 35-42D 1000kv outrunner which should supply enough poke, weight of the motor is 132g so can you see any problems with this Lindsey or should I fit something a little more benign?,

regards,    Terry

Ha Ha.........well done Lindsay, at last ......i can use up alot of my 6mm balsa i have in stock.
This is my type of plan,quick list of wood and a blinder to build,this will appeal to alot of new builders,straight chord wing ,not too many parts and a good plan thats easy to read.

Nice one Lindsay, what have you got on the building board for  us all next  ?......

vince

hi everyone decided that the zulu will be my next build. i've some questions though.
im not really into electric more i.c so is anyone converting it this way ?
is it possible to convert this way ?
on the rudder there is a cut out sort of nearly half circle is this right and is this for the elevator to allow movement ?
i only ask as this is only my seconed ever experiance of building ?

Hi Magic stick,

converting to ic will basically mean you need to move the front blukhead back to allow space for the engine mount, just make sure you keep it square, you may find you need to add a degree or so of right thrust. In addition you will not need the battery box area as this will make space for the fuel tank. The segment in the rudder is to give elevator clearance as you suggest. I would suggest an ic engine around the 0.25 to 0.30 would provide ample power.

Lindsay

Hi Lindsay,

Great meeting you today. I knew  I recognised the name but couldnt place you until the Zulu connection then it all clicked. (Im always a bit slow on the uptake).

Just converting todays vids as we speak, so hopefully get some of the zebra striped wonder next time !

PS dont forget Foamie Dave when yer lotta comes up mate ..!!

Hi Lindsay
I am at the moment building the fus, laying down the top(roof) of the latice on to the plan, I was going to use F4 as a spacer at the tail end but it seems to be too big, the 6mm outer longrons end up just  8mm from the 6x12mm "keel" the drawing of F4 shows it at 13mm .Have I gone wrong somewhere or just missreading the drawing?
regards
Tony

Hi Tony

Your Correct! there does appear to be an error on this dimension which make F4 outer longeron positions wrong. But Don't Panic! The height of F4 is correct as is the base width. The 6mm outer longerons of the roof should be inset of those on the plan for F4. Basically if you use the internal vertical line of the longeron as the external line and draw a second line 6mm inboard of this you should find the position is then correct. The outer angle can then be adjusted to the external of the longeron. Do this to both sides.
 I hope that makes it clear. well done you check these things in the hope you catch any errors clearly that slipped through the net, sorry.

Lindsay

Your Correct! there does appear to be an error on this dimension which make F4 outer longeron positions wrong.

You wanna know something Lindsey? I have the fuse built and didnt even notice that, it has all gone together quite happily and looks good, probably down to the years working at BSA Motorcycles in the 60's where,if something didnt fit, you made it fit.........

regards,   Terry

Zulu Nearly Built now,
made a couple of changes though,nothing to do with the design Lindsay,Honest  .......i fixed a motor mount plate to the front of the plane because of the motor i had and made the battery plate on a sliding system so i could remove the motor with plenty of room and brilliant for the exact CofG.
 Lindsay,did you have any problems with the rudder at the bottom where the elevator cutout is regarding strength.....i found it to be a bit on the weak side and reinforced the bottom of the rudder with a little length of 6mm hard balsa running cross grain to make it more stable and less flexable.
Im building this one for my daughter who loved the way the plane looked,but she wants me to do the livery colour scheme of the lion king  ......i think she could be right for a fabalous look,i'll post piccies soon.
Roll on the Grumman Goose,Will it be a plan feature for later in the year Lindsay?

vince

Hi Vinnie, can't wait to see the pictures. Just had a look at the plan re the tail wheel, see what you mean, on the original the tail wheel wire extended above the rudder elevator cut out and was sandwiched in place by the rudder control horn. Not sure why there is a change here, maybe something in translation. Add some 1/64 ply as a stiffener if you suspect a problem with strength.

As for the Grumman Goose, it appears RCM&E are keen to take the design, so fingers crossed. I am drafting the plan as I proceed, going well so far and should be ready by Easter with a bit of luck.

Hi magicstick,

The tab is a simple means to ensure the wing ribs sit square to the building board during construction. They are then removed once initial construction is complete and you are ready to sheet the underside of the wing. Its quite common practice and a good way of preventing unwanted warps etc.

Lindsay

Hi Everyone ,
Well, iv'e completed the building side of the project and will start to cover this evening.
I have put a servo in each wing for the ailerons and put some 9g 2KG micro servo's on the rear for the rudder and elevator.These little servo's are very good,if anyone wants these powerful little servo's ,i got them from BRC hobbies for £14.99 for four of them plus p&p,happy days eh?.
Iv'e also changed the front nose end mainly because of the motor i had,i fixed a ply mount to the front,i think it looks rather good.
Iv'e had a quick weight check and it looks like it will be approx 2 3/4 pounds A.U.W.......not bad eh ?.
 I hope you like the couple of piccies here.