Beginner advice

Peter Budd

Hi all, well it looks like I'm going to succumb to something I said I would never do.  I fancy having a crack at heli flying.
I have been flying fixed wing (scale warbirds, edf and aerobatic) , mode 1 for 7 years now, have my B cert and am a club examiner, so have a bit of RC experience. But I have no idea what all the technical terms, swashplate, 120 degrees this and that, throttle curves etc mean.  I have a rough idea how they fly, the need for a tail rotor to counter the torque of the main blades etc and I have been flying my lads contra rotating infra red heli round the house, so....

what's best to start with.  I don't want to waste money on a contra rotating heli (they all come with transmitters which I don't want) and would prefer to go for the proper thing.  Electric seems the cheapest way forward and having done loads of research the Twister Storm seems to be recommended.  This I don't get as it's supposed to be a 3D balls out heli.  If I stuck training undercarriage on and took my time hovering inches, one step at a time would this be a suitable choice.
Any other recommendations gratefully received.
Pete

Advert

Hi Peter

I would not go strait to eny 3d heli as they are a nightmare to fly at the best of times, start of with a 4 channel heli as this will give you a grounding into bassic control and not fritten the wits out of you, and put you of heli,s for life you may think the CX is not a good starting point but thay are, and if you have got a good bugget then go to single rotor fixed pitch, its best to do it in slow but shure steps and then you will make it in the long run, as it is a slow process and can not be rushed.
Good luck Owen. 

The only difference cotrol wise between a 3D heli and any other machine is in the way it's set up in the trannie. Mechanically the 3D machines are usually built to a higher spec to cope with the rigours of 3D but can be tamed down for normal flight ie learning to hover and normal circuit flying simply by the way the models set up in the T/X ie with simple throttle and pitch curves and no idle ups1and2 and 3D pitch curves

Hi Peter

I totally agree with Ultymate's comments above. As far as electric Heli's are concerned you can go 2 ways either a kit or a RTF without the Radio gear for your intentons.  I tend to like kits as you learn more by building them up yourself and understanding the mechanics and theory.

In my opinion I would (If you have the pennies) go for a Align T-Rex 450/500 or a Mini Titan. The E-flite blade 400 is also supposed to be very good. Read they threads in this section and you will see the comments on most stuff.

On a budget - My son bought a Century GL 450.  it also goes under the name of  Copter X as far as I'm aware.  It was RTF(tongue in cheek! they must be checked over first) less the TX and RX.   I have put Spektrum gear in it.  I test flew it for him the other day and I must admit I was very impressed.  The Aluminium case it comes in and the price of the Lipo battery is worth about approx £70 on their own. Considering it was £199 - it is a lot of Heli for the money!  It is a good starting point to get the feel without spending to much. Most of the T-Rex 450 spares will fit it.

As for flying on mode 1 - I personally do not Know anybody who does!

Get a Heli person who can help you and a training undercarriage is a must! As you have already suggested. I would also suggest you get lots of time on a decent simulator to get the feel and confidence before you put your purchase in the air. Even better if you can buddy up with a heli flyer. I would also suggest a Couple of hours at one of those training schools if you can. Try flying a i/c heli with an instructor - great fun and a great confidence booster.  Then you will be truely hooked !!

Generally the bigger the Heli the more stable they are. (and more money!! )

Al

Funnily enough I fly mode one with both heli's and fixed wing, I'm not into 3D with the helis nor likely to be but I know plenty of guys who are and the consensus of opinion that if you want to go all the way to extreme 3D that mode 2 is advantagious. That said there are exceptions to that rule

Ahhh!  the email is working again - good stuff!

I Kneel and are humbled by your dexterity Ultymate !   Like Aliens- Mode 1 heli flyers are out there !!   Perhaps we are all one stickers in my neck of the woods.

I agree with with you about 3D. there is nothing nicer than seeing a nice scale jobby cruising around the sky other than a demented Bee with Terrets trying to mow the grass - trees etc. I take my hat off to those that do - It takes a lot of skill/ bottle and a healthy wallet! 

Thanks for the replies all.  Couple of queries
1) Aren't all helis 4 channel, if not what do 5 and 6 do?
2) The problem with CX helis is that I either want a mode 1 set or one without a receiver and transmitter as I alraedy have a DX7
3) Some have said that it is impossible to fly helis on mode 1.  Since I fly mode 1 I do not want to relearn mode 2 as this would start me crashing my planes
4) 3D does not interest me in the slightest, impressed with the skill but not for me.  Steady flying, hovering etc is what I want, but with the proper thing.

Cheers all
Pete

Hi Pete

On a Spektrum setup DX-7 with a 7 ch Rx

CH5 (gear) is normally used for the Gyro. I usually set mine up with the gear switch up - when the gyro is in heading hold. (this is especially useful if you have a futaba 401 gyro as these have to be started up in heading hold (HH) ) "It saves having to remember to move the switch"   Gear down (normal)- self centering the tail rotor when rudder stick is centered. You can however use Aux 2 for the gyro if you wish. It is a lot easier to fly in heading hold once you get used to it. In non heading hold you have to keep the tail in the position you want it by continually moving your Rudder stick

CH 6 (Aux 1) is normally for the collective pitch  which is mixed with the Throttle as stated above

Hence 6 channels

Ps. I do Know somebody who flys planes in Mode 1 and heli's in mode 2  (smart A***)

Al

My advice to a learner is always learn without heading hold works wonders for your rudder control both F/W and helis then if the gyro goes pearshaped you can still hack it manually. When I quoted Ch5 for collective pitch I had my Futaba head on and you can get away with five channels if you don't use a H/H gyro

Thanks again, but I'm starting to get lost in the jargon,
Alan, mode 1 for planes and 2 for helis...possible I guess, I have been flying my lads little Infra red copter about which is throttle left.  Unfortunately it means another transmitter.

More research needed me thinks.
Pete

Thanks Ultymate, will do.

I will now get some training undercarriage, read the manual ten times and go for it.  I guess one advantage of helis is that you learn from the ground up, unlike planes where you learn from the sky down.  I've got use of a large school hall every day after work so I can practice when I want to really.
Here goes :-O

FWIW I'm a beginner & I have the Twister Storm. The radio is set up so as to be "sport" rather than "3D" and my LMS has set up the servos etc for beginner suitability.

It works for me.

It's nice to go down to the club indoor sessions & not have a Belt or a Blade