Piwakawaka funfly

Patrik Gertsson

Advert

Hi Patrik
Piwakawaka.
Easy build.Flys great apart from will noy bunt!
On my second due to loss of control and lost model over moorland!
2 others in our club (calderdale W Yorks)
Power by BRC 2409-12/ESC combo (aprox £30) 3s 2200 lipo from Ebay
Servos 4x 9g.
Futaba 2.4ghz Rx. Initialy 35mhz but suffered glitching.

Tnx for info.
We have 2 juniors ( i think more will join the train) in the club who wants to build something "fast".
I have come to the same conclusion as you regarding the motor but will go for a smaller battery to save some weight.
The wing is to hard for the juniors to build so i have tried to vrap something from 3 mm foam "depron".  Estimated weight for wing with ail approx 100 gms.
I cant see any reason why it wont bunt......
The club tread
/Patrik

You are probably right - the nose is a little short.
We have to build the tail light

I have another idea i have tried om a Kyosho Ferias.
I mount the motor on a light 2 mm aluminium U-profile.
This will take a lot of abuse - it is that kind of plane or

The mount will also make it easy to move the motor 25 mm forward to adjust the cog.

/Patrik

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I am sorry to contradict other posters but the Pi does indeed bunt and she does so very well.
This plane is highly aerobatic and very adaptable.
I built mine with a 2 piece wing so it will store in a nice small box for holidays.
Not only that, I also have a additional centre section which increases the wingspan and lowers the wing loading which is great for soaring although the rudder is a little marginal with the extra span.

Where is the CoG on your machine Mowerman, and do you have to add any down to your plane while inverted?

If you add lots of down, then it would suggest the ailerons are deflected downwards or the CoG is too far forwards.

I set my ailerons as flaperons so I can adjust them to neutral while in flight, that way inverted needs no down and the response to loops and bunts are the same.

I have my controls rated, normal throws which are great for pattern type aeros and gneral flight, high rates for square loops and wacky rolling verticals.

Patrik

You are right to a point, build for lightness is really for electric.

With IC, lightness comes secondary to strength to hold that vibrating lump on the front. So normally substantially larger wood sections are used.

The Pi is an incredibly strong airframe.
It needs little if any reinforcement.
I made a few changes so it would pack away easier and yet be stronger than elastic banding.
My wings are bolt on at the back and clip under the front upper cover.
The tailplane is located on 2 carbon fibre studs and retained with a single nylon screw.
The undercarriage wires sit in a balsa ply sandwich which itself sits in a balsa box in the lower fuselage.

Andy
I realize that it is "extremely hard" to get planes as Amber fitted with IC
I think that the Piwaka would fly just as well with an IC engine without any more reinforcements. I have flewn bigger and lighter planes with cox engines.

The Pee Wee was a really cute engine - but i like the silence of the finer electric setups.
There was certainly no larger wood sections in the plans i have in memory and also can be seen at my club.

We are currently converting a CL-plane to electric (400W).
I dont think we could have used much lighter design if we had built the plane for electric from the start.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I built a Pi, made the back end very light but left the nose 25mm longer than plan so that I could chop it back after doing a preliminary CoG check. In the end I left the nose 25mm longer and still had to have the 1300 Lipo pushed up to the 'firewall'. Perhaps it was because I didn't fit any undercarriage to keep it light. Flies really well, tight or loose loops/bunts, no down when inverted  -lots of fun. Can get 10-12 min flights easily.

• 4 years later...