Shorts Tucano

Iain Jeffrey

Hi Peter
I'm currantly reading your book DESIGNING MODEL AIRCRAFT and wish to design my first model. To date I've built a deagostini spitfire and two ARTF's of which is the Pilatus PC-9. This aircraft is very close in design to the Shorts Tucano. I would like to design and make this model as it would look very good in scale and have some areobatic ability. The problem I have is where could I obtain a decent 3 View drawing to scale up from (Read this chapter last night), I can't seem to get any information about this aircraft  i.e. apart from images from google and RAF site. I would be most grateful if you could point me in some direction on how to obtain information if you have any ideas!! 
I've really enjoyed reading your book and so easy to understand.

Thanks

Iain

Advert

Hi Iain

Thanks for your kind remarks about my book. I am glad that it has inspired you.

Aviation News do a huge range of excellent multiview drawings including the Short Tucano

Check them out at

You can order by phone, not sure about buying on line but you will see when you visit their website. Prices are very reasonable. If they have a back copy you get the whole magazine, if not your get a good photocopy of the pages.

Thank you Peter

Just emailed HPC publishing about their Tucano Plans, awaiting their responce.

I just takes some direction. Finished the book last night, enjoyed every page. I've got your aircraft modelling techniques vol 1 & 2 to read next, looking forward.

Do you have any good sources for model aircraft wing rib section to get a good copy from, this is the only thing that I have any concerns over, which type to use!!!

Best Regards

Iain.

I am glad that you are a book person. So few people bother to read or use books these days.

With regard to wing sections. I mainly use a flat bottomed section these days set at 0 degrees incidence in relation to the thrust line. That is measured at the chord line

NACA 3412 is a good one. IT works like a symmetrical section but is easier to build.

I invested in a computer program call Compufoil which gives hundreds of sections and allows one to generate all the NACA sections. IT also allows one to design very complex wings but takea a bit of getting used to. I am still learning very fast and only scratched the surface.

If you are really interested you can buy and download the program on line.

When I go onto my other computer with Compufoil loaded I will see if I can send you the section. Not sure how to do it but will find out. At worst I can print it and scan it and send it that way.

I must get Compufoil onto this one. it is new.

Thanks again Peter.

I had a look into compufoil, had a play with the demo version, a very interesting program, like you say, it takes a little time to get used to it, maybe a future investment.

Will look into the two plans you have mentioned, might be easier to look at a wing section that you know that works.

Emailed people at HPC Publishing and will order a set of Short Tucano drawings from them, they have also been very helpful.

All your help is very much appreciated. Feel like I've made a big step forward toward this week designing my first model, just finding the information makes it half the battle!!

Best Regards

Iain