JR X3810 Range

Has anyone had range problems with a JR 3810?

problems with the plug-in RF Module?

Been using my JR X-3810 ADT transmitter for 3 or 4 years on and off now. always kept clean & dry and always topped up the charge and/or regularly cycled the Tx pack. I've used the Tx with "other make" Rx's (HiTec, Futaba, Jeti, etc) and never had any probs.

YESTERDAY i dumped a brand new model straight after take off (a present from 'er indoors as well!!) and then thought wise not to fly the other model i had with me me when i found it was glitching like mad when only a couple of feet from the TX !!!

We had done a range check before hand on both models and all seemed ok - even on the (now demised) 'leccy model - the initial range check was fine, but when next to 2 or 3 other guys at the flight line it was TOTALLY swamped by their radios and i lost range after just a few yards - and thats with the TX aerial FULLY EXTENDED!!!!

I even changed the crystals (3 different freq's on tx & rx) and still encountered same probs.

i took it home and ranged it on the drive - still the same! Tx meter says 10.5v....

any other users had similar probs ?

cheers

c

had the self same problem chri, only with an ff8 futaba set, it would range check ok at home, but at the field amongst others it would glitch badly, even futaba checked and passed it for range test,
i put it down to worn pins/sockets on the module from changing xtals too often, i was flying on 3 different frequencies in my planes, now i fly 74 and no more, with another ff8 and had no probs
phil

As Phil says it could be worn plugs/sockets.
Stick it in a box (the one it came in if you still have it) write down clearly the problem and send it off to MacGregor for repair. They are very good and quick and will sort it out for you.
I've never needed to return anything in 10 years of using JR gear but I know of others who have and they all say the service is 1st class.

Hi Guys - thanx for advice

I have contacted MacGregor and "terry" says that a matched set (i.e. JR tx & JR Rx) should get a range test of 70 paces (around 58 yards / 53 metres) with the Tx aerial collapsed.

I dug out the original manual - and it states 20-25 metres minimum. ?

Anyhow - I got out my JR 9-channel PCM receiver and plugged in four servos, crystal, etc, and turned on (with Tx set to PCM obviously) and sent my son off down the street with the Tx (aerial collapsed).

Must have got somewhere around the above figures (about 30-40mtrs) before lock-up. ALL SEEMS WELL?

NOW THEN --> All you mix 'n' match guys.

.......W A T C H O U T ........

Back on to PPM mode, I resumed tests with the bad'un...

I was using a JR X3810 TX, FUTABA 5 channel single conv. Rx with channel 64 Rx Xtal - with a green strip (I am sure this is a HiTec Xtal) but told when I bought four of these crystals that Hitec and Futaba mix OK...

.......B E W A R E.......

When I changed to channel 72 (still a green 'HiTec'? crystal) the combo did not work at all I MEAN AT ALL!!!! NO RESPONSE WHATSOEVER - NOT A TWITCH!!!!

Suspecting my 72 Xtal I then changed to a HiTec receiver with said HiTec Xtal and fine - loadsa range.

I will still send my Tx off for checking 'cos when I switched back to Futaba Xtal in Futaba Rx the setup still glitched at a fairly low range test, but nowhere near as bad...

but in the meantime....

I'm off to buy some more Futaba Rx Xtals - I only have one at the moment - the reason I changed over in the first place at the field 'cos someone else was on my frequency - so:

IF USING FUTABA Rx- USE FUTABA CRYSTALS, ETC..

The only combo i know GUARANTEED TO WORK 'cos I've been flying it for years is JeTi receivers with Futaba Xtals.

Keep threading,

cheers,

c

Always use the correct maufacturers crystals for the major brands. I only mix & match with aftermarket rx's. I have never had a problem with Jeti & GWS mini receivers with my JR transmitters.
I occasionaly build & set up models for others and I have tried most makes or receiver with my transmitters. I have found that Futaba and sanwa can give problems, Sanwa will not work with any other brand and some futaba (and I would guess Robbe) receivers won't either. Hitech, jeti, GWS, Multiplex and webra are no problem and all except Hitec work perfectly with JR crystals.
Chris

I notice you mention that it was an Electric model? I have had this before, and it was not a radio problem, but an ESC problem. It was so bad one time, that the only way to shut down the ESC, which had started on it's own while range checking [by the way, any new EF aircraft, range check with the prop OFF!], would only shut down if the FULLY EXTENDED TX aerial was placed 6" away from the RX aerial!

Check all the soldered joints for a start, a "dry" joint will do this believe it or not, and try swapping the ESC for another if you have one around.

THURSDAY..

I flew the (epoxied-back-together)'leccy model last night (Weds)

the chicken lives on!!! (pictures to follow)

Originally this had a GWS Pico receiver and GWS pico crystal fitted when it went in under loss of control on sunday.

It now has a FEIGAO 6ch receiver with a full size futaba Rx Xtal fitted.

The motor, speed controller, battery, and wiring are all EXACTLY AS THEY WERE ON SUNDAY...

I had six perfect totally glitch free flights last night and and all is well!!!!

cheers

c

Before someone says I was using an indoor/parkfly GWS receiver in an outdoor model - YES i was. But it is still supposed to have a range of "approx. 300ft" (100yards or so) the model glitched and lost control on sunday after only around 20 yards or so!!

I have since spoken to other freinds and club members and have been given accounts of at least four other incidences with GWS NARO or PICO receivers.

Interestingly I run a (bog standard 400 powered) TwinStar on a FULL SIZE GWS 8channel receiver (with full size Futaba Rx Xtal and the same JR tranny) and HAVE NEVER had a problem with that one.... even flown it over the sea at Bournemouth till "a little dot" on the horizon!!!!

Also last night I flew a 3D shockie brushless bipe that has a HYPERION 4channel mini receiver & mini crystal (still same JR Tranny) and had a few TOTALLY FAULTLESS flights with that too!!!

cheers

c