Feels like summer!

Advert

Yes Phil, retained so on call most of the time (140 - 150 hours a week!) - very rewarding and enjoyable -  some of the time!!!

But got a bit of flying in today - sadly today's ended in a crash as a dog came out of nowhere when I was trying to land and knocked the plane out of the sky - luckily it was an HTWO-O and was my R&D version which has had a few bumps so I'll retire it (have no choice, dog snapped the wing and landed on the fuselage!!!).

But I flew the new pusher "jet" - stunned by the speed and stability and the fact that I flew it for 22 mins on a 1300 2 cell amazed me! 

Also got to try my idea of a ducted fan jet.  I need to work on this - a lot!!!!

Edited By Bryce Allcorn - BritFlight.co.uk on 04/04/2009 17:31:17

So thats what follows next in the caption competition photo eh . was the owner present by any chance as a responsible dog owner I have to say had it been mine an offer to compensate would've quickly ensued. Not that brilliant at edf technology bryce but after listening to Chris Goulds at our club meet a week or so ago it seems that as long as you let the fan breathe properly it is feasible to fly on as little as 30% thrust to weight and or about 90w/lb however I got the feeling that this doesn't produce sparkling flight performance although the video of his F4 phantom flying at 100w/lb looked impressive enough

Well what a weekend over the last 4 days I've had 5 hours at the flying field notching up a total of 9 x 10 min flights on my west wings toucano. 4 x 10 mins on my westwings fournier rf4 and 3 x 10min flights on a home brew  golden age style ski plane. so in tot 160 mins in the air out of 300 mins at the field Must be taking too much coffe with me amazing how the time flies. one interesting bird at the field today remains unidentified the owner has no idea what its supposed to be or who made it have a look at the vid see if you can identify it for him span is about 60"/65"

Edited By Phil Winks on 05/04/2009 20:25:51

It hasn't got the wire rigging that I believe the maggie has and its about 10 years old or more prob had IC power originally it has also struts under the wing that appear to be purely cosmetic the markings appear to be confederate air force although thats nowt to go by it does have an original looking marking behind the cowl that has a sort of celtic cross on a red shield with the words "Blue Max" in  some sort of iluminated text So does it still sound like the flair? I have to admit though my 1st reaction was "ahh a magnatilla"

Edited By Phil Winks on 05/04/2009 20:55:00

A lovely day at the field yesterday, loaded the car to the Gunnels (phonetic spelling !):
Wot4
EasyStreet
Ultimate FunFly
Giles 202
Yak54
EHawk
Elektro Junior S
Rogue.

Weather was great and managed a few things:

a) Got the engine just about sorted on the UFF
b) Got the engine just about sorted on the Giles - not sure it'll end up being one of my favourite planes though
c) Got 20+ flights in.

On the downside....................  my puny starter battery wouldn't turn over the new ASP61 in me Yak so that didn't get flown, and I managed to hit the electric fence three times !  Once my Elektro Junior skidded far further than I expected and hit one of the support posts - good old Elapor !  Then I undershot with my UFF when the breeze got up - minor damage to the tail.  Finally, I overshot my Wotty on deadstick and ripped the tail completely off.  Must practice landings more.

Ah well, if I'm not flying the Wotty for a while, at least the others will get a look in.

GG