ATM Skimmers

Doug Ireland

Ladies and Gents be warned.

I've just been the victim of ATM Skimming. Over the space of two weeks my bank account was completely emptied! My wife didn't find out about until her card was refused at Tesco's two days ago. I had no idea as I am working in Gabon at the moment. The bank (HBOS) has said we will get it all back but it has been a very worrying couple of days. All the debits were from somewhere in France so be on the lookout for any unusual withdrawals from your accounts.

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
Doug,

It happened to me about a year ago,first i new was HSBC fraud dept calling me 8am one morning  to tell me my bank account had been accessed in Amsterdam to the tune of £450.

Got it back from the bank Ok.

can only assume it was a compromised ATM.

Jimbo

PS  No wise cracks Anderson???

My brother was done like this at a big-name petrol station in Guildford a couple of years back. It seems what happened was that the chip&pin machine had been altered, and it was logging card details and PINs - no CCTV necessary.  His account was drained from places all over the world. The card details get sold on the internet very rapidly to people all over the globe it seems.

The problem with chip & pin is that it allows automation of fraud. It relies on the security of the chip&pin machines being tamper-proof ie they will never work again after being opened in any way. I don't imagine it's too hard to circumvent.

Two of my colleagues were hit by the same thing at another petrol station of the same brand in the same town just a month or two ago.

So, my advice is, never use a debit card in a petrol station or shifty-looking shops. At least having a lot of money taken from a credit card account isn't going to screw up your life as much as all bank transactions bouncing, and you can refuse to pay fraudulent transactions when you see the bill. Also, always check cash machines for skimming devices on the card slot. Card machines really ought to show a photo of what the slot is meant to look like on the screen before you put your pin in, so you can compare.

I've noticed Natwest machines drag your card in with a jumpy movement, I wonder if this makes skimming harder? Perhaps that could make them a safer choice where there is a choice of machines.