Fuel tank tubes - which is which, attached to what?

Tom Mann

I have a new bottle tank with thrtee straight tubes, one of which is longer than t'other two.

Is the long one for the "vent" tube, to be bent thru 90 degrees and sit near top of tank?  If so - is this the tube I attach to my exhaust pressure nipple?

If so, the other two'll be feed and fill - but don't need bending - right?

LAstly can I use regular fuel tube for the clunk or do I really need dedicated 'clunk tube'

thanks in advance
tom

hello tom-if the tubes are brass-the long one will be the one the clunk tube fasten's onto-the other's fill and pressure normally both get bend's put in to finish off just below the top of your tank-use ordinary fuel tube(no prob's)come's in various colour's as well--take your time with the brass tube when bending.................

ken oily hand anderson...........

Ken's ok there. The coloured tube I have bought has a slightly narrower bore than the clear tubing.,it is also slightly more flexible. Both good reasons to use it as it grips the brass tube and nipples better and also flexes better for the clunk. Can save hassle for identifying which tube is what if you use different colours.

Hello Tom, While your putting the tank together I would suggest that you change the brass tubing for aluminium tubing,available from your model shop. Reason: The nitro methane in our fuel attacks the copper contents in the brass leaving  the zinc and causes brittle  and porous pipes. This doesn't happen over night but one season and you could have unexplained dead stick landings to cope with. The brass tube supplied probably comes from China and I believe the copper content is already low as I have sorted many models at our club over the last couple of years with this problem . Also the fit pipes as suggeted in earlier post but bend the fill and drain pipe so that it goes to the bottom or along a bottom corner of the tank . You can then empty your tank easily after a flying session without having to turn the model upsisde down . The brass tubing you have left will always come in handy for somthing .

Good luck and happy landings

E.D.

Thanks all

They were in fact alu pipes - but thanks E.D. for the interesting knowledge - I have brass in another tank!

In the end I bent the long one up as the vent pipe going to silencer.  The shorter ones  simply wouldn't reach high enough in the tank if bent.

The filler pipe is in middle as not bent down - so I'll think to use the feed pipe for draining if necessary (although this makes me think any gunk in the filter will get gobbed bank into the fuel container... mebbe I'll disconnect at the filter to drain.

tom

• 3 weeks later...
"
Hello Tom, While your putting the tank together I would suggest that you change the brass tubing for aluminium tubing,available from your model shop. Reason: The nitro methane in our fuel attacks the copper contents in the brass leaving  the zinc and causes brittle  and porous pipes. This doesn't happen over night but one season and you could have unexplained dead stick landings to cope with. The brass tube supplied probably comes from China and I believe the copper content is already low as I have sorted many models at our club over the last couple of years with this problem . Also the fit pipes as suggeted in earlier post but bend the fill and drain pipe so that it goes to the bottom or along a bottom corner of the tank . You can then empty your tank easily after a flying session without having to turn the model upsisde down . The brass tubing you have left will always come in handy for somthing .

Good luck and happy landings

E.D."

Oh my god, this is exactly what has been happening to my 3 month old 2oz SLEC tank, the breather and filler pipes actually split! they were all black as well