Beware the AR500 Rx

Tim Mackey

• 2 months later...
Advert

Interesting stuff regarding the AR500 RX  I lost a very nice model, a magnattila at a club fly in a few weeks ago , I contacted horizon hobbies and was asked to send TX and RX  back  to them, they told me they had done a soak test on the Rx for two days and could not find any fault but had updated the software in the Tx output and that they would exchange the  AR500 rx for a AF6200 on this occasion  but did not say if they found a fault, this was the second  AF500 I had sent back to them on that occasion they just sent a replacment AF500 with no explanation, It woulld have been nice to know what was the fault,

I am unsure as to how reliable Spektrum is as lots of comments in our exeter club more so from the 2.4 futaba user's ,    Roy  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Posted by Peter 'Servo Scrounger' Savage on 01/08/2009 14:25:00:
well, the AR6100 (the tiny one) still has plenty of range for even the farthest flying (out of line of sight) so unless you are doing FPV flying, im sure the ar500 will be fine in your model, my dad has one in his flair puppeteer and that is pretty massive!

You mention the AR6100. Is this the earlier version with the atennas at 180degress or the newer ones at 90 degrees. I tried the earlier ones to OOS range but looking at the reports and spec of the latest ones (with that 90 degree antenna set up) they are not as good. I could be wrong as I havnt tried one yet.

• 7 months later...
The AR500 voltage range is 3.5v to 9.6v, however check the max voltage of your servo's otherwise you may damage them.

When I converted a Fox chuck glider into RC I had to use a 3.7v mobile phone battery to power the whole lot as a 7.4v Li-Po would have fried the servo's.

If you are using an ESC with a BEC then no RX battery is required as the BEC will regulate the voltage from the flight battery/Li-Po

Edited By Allan Bowker on 06/10/2010 09:42:59

No John - its not absolutely necessary to use 6V.
What is important is to ensure the chosen battery can deliver the required current for the servo loads involved without"sagging" below the crucial 3.5V minimum.
In practice, with the latest instantaneous QC enabled, even if you do suffer a brown out - your'e unlikely to even know about it!