Emotional Attachment

Morning everyone,

Does anyone form an emotional attachment to certain planes, or is it just me ?

For example, when I take my Wot4 out, I grin from ear to ear and get quite upset at the slightest knock.  Which i then fix as soon as I can.  But ................

I've beeen repairing an Overlander Tucano for months now and often weeks will go by when I don't so much as stick a single bit of wood on it; or even pick it up !  Similarly, my EasyStreet has had some film covering missing from it's underfin and air scoop for months and I haven't got "round toit" yet - it's not as if it doesn't fly as well as the Wotty - it's flies really really well.

Thoughts ?

GG

Advert

Mornin'  GG!

I'm with you on the varying degrees of attachment.

Generally I find it's got a lot to do with the amount of input that the model required in it's build in the first place;

ARTF's are pretty disposable.  After all, somebody else designed and built them (all I do is install the motor and radio gear), so why not treat them as you would any other bought-in leisure item? The fun is in the flying, so these are the ones that get flown fast and low! 

Kits come closer to the heart, and it's commensurate with the time and effort that I've put into the model's construction.  Mind you, it is somebody else's design though......

At the other extreme come my own-design scratchbuilt models, where I've sweated for several weeks over the design, then a month or two over the build (all the while wondering whether the model is actually going to fly at the end of the process).  To finally see this kind of model fly successfully is still the biggest thrill I've enjoyed in this ridiculous hobby so far, and I'm absolutely gutted if one gets dented in the process!

tim

Now this is an odd one really, cos unlike the other Tim, I dont actaully find that, even though its reasoning is logical..
For me its an unknown, and for some reason I just get attached to some models more than others, maybe because of the way they way they actually look or fly.  I too have scratch built models years ago - although tend to do more ARTFS these days TBH - and found little emotional attachment to them. One of the simplest and least work demanding models I own is perhaps my favourite - the ALFA Sabre EDF, and I just know I will be sad when she finally goes to the great hanger in the sky, she WILL be replaced.
Another favourite of mine is an IC Spitfire which I bought second hand and although I added my own personality to it,  this also has a special place in my

Are Grumpy I spotted your problem  in being unable to finishing  those models.  You must buy yourself  a   'Round Toit',       if you are really stuck you can borrow mine  but I want it back mind.

Yes I have one model which I have a centimental attachment. That being my first scratch built scale, which I built back 1971, a 1/4 scale Fairy Tipsy Junior. She is still in beautiful condition, last flown 2 years ago when I sold off all my I/C models, but not Tipsy.
Maybe one day I will put back in the air electric powered. 

Edited By Terry Whiting on 27/03/2009 08:44:22

Hmmm - I have an old GWS mustang that my Dad built years ago - the deal was the I'd have a Spitfire and He'd have the mustang but the Spitfire has never been completed (along with ~ 20 others!).  So I ended up with the mustang but for some reason I can't bring myself to fly i!!!!

Worst is it is all ready to go, just needs batteris charging and a preflight check - but it sits on the shelf in my hobby room at home.

Cheers,

Bryce.