Wild Thing, Fusion or ........

Hi folks,

Fancy one of those flying wing things - 46" ish so that it will fit in the boot.

Needs to be fast, fully aerobatic and capable of flying in winds from 10 mph to 50.

Considering a Wild Thing or Fusion - don't really know the difference between them.

Some advice would be much appreciated.

Advert

WT probably best if you are inexperienced on the slope - but TBH theres not much between them - they are both great, and tough models. The Fusion is a tad quicker, but both will handle the range you mention. Of course, by their inherent design and shape etc they are not exactly "fast" or exactly "fully aerobatic" ! They are primarily combat machines

Wildthing Peter. I say that having not yet built my fusion but the WT is fantastic fun. Having flown it back to back with the Blizzard, it is completely different. And while - as Tim says it's not some monster fast aerobatic monster - it'll turn on its own length and can be abused in so many interesting ways.

Although ballast will actually help to "fly" in strong winds, its not recommended because of the extra weight being a hazard on "arriving" back to mother earth. Your call.
PS I think the 60" is the better - as it will fly in lighter winds than the 46" - but it wouldnt  fit in my car boot!
MY 46" was flying fine this afternoon in winds touching 40MPH ( unballasted )

Maidened mine today. Wind 30-35 knots. Flies nicely in that.....A few more knots and quite quickly started struggling to penetrate. Still if you want to fly in those winds you really ought to have something suited to the job i rekon. 

The caveat being i had a conservative CofG being the maiden. Might go better again with it moved back slightly...

Edited By Andy Freeman on 07/04/2009 20:42:56

I was running about 8 clicks of down on my WT today in 30mph winds but my cofg is right back as well. When the weight fell off (the rear fuz) which balances it, it was very strange indeed. I need to work on my downwind/upslope landings!

Blizzard had about 6 clicks and it motored. Just fantastic.

Sorry, as you were

Measured the boot and thought of family holidays with kids on board, taking up all that valuable space.

Reckon a 46" will sit nicely on top af the suitcases so that's what I went for.

After 25 minutes on the phone and an invitation to the Filey fly in week in May my order was placed.

Alan promised that it would be in the post 10 minutes later.

What a nice chap he is.

Now looking out for postie with eager anticipation.

The colours that I have found stand out  best - nothing fancy or designer - just practical - red for the top and yellow for the bottom - same as Blizzard and Bedlam.

I also received prior budget approval from the wife - may cost me a trip to one of those designer outlet places where she will probably spend much more than I have.

That is the hidden cost of soaring - how much the wife spends shopping whilst you have a day on the slope.

Covered that Buzzard yet?

Never had black EPP before.
Could be a dark yellow then.
Am sure two coats will sort it.
Nearly used the mobile to call Alan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you moderator types have a real job or are you paid to make forum postings 24/7?

Well the fusion has arrived - fewer bits as I am used too - and yes, Mr nicely retired moderator, it is a charcoal grey colour.

It looks very well designed.

With the pushrods inside the fuz, the elevon horns obviously have to go right at the end near the wing root - I am used to fitting them more centrally.

Being correx, it looks as though the elevons will flew when activated.

Will the CW tape make them rigid enough or do I go for something like carbon rod inserts?

The horns are fine on the extreme edge of the elevons - thats how they oer on the WT...which is pretty much the same model TBH - push small strips of hard square section bars ( like matchstick size ) into the flutes where they horns attach and this stops the correx from crushing.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 11/04/2009 17:06:18

• 8 months later...