July Issue

July issue!?!? The shops here down under have only just got the May issue. The Bushwhacker looks like fun BTW.

Now I know that we in the colonies are a little behind the times, except when it comes to cricket of course, but two months is ridiculous.

So my question is how much faster would I get a subscription issue here in Oz?

Advert

Just a little dig...!!

Thoroughly enjoyed the editorial (as I always do)...and re mistakes...well easy to make. Not that I'd even thought about where the pilot sits.

But there was another one (hehe)...

It's toe the line, not tow the line!!

Great magazine though - I always enjoy it and forever hope that someone will explain to us beginners what all these numbers mean and what we're meant to be looking for as regards electric power - e.g. batteries - what size?, ESCs what rating?, motors - what type?, etc. And what is the difference between an AXI xxxx and a TowerPro xxxx? Double Dutch to me, especially as it was many years ago that I did physics 'O' Level. Amps, volts, watts, milliamps, amps per hour, kv's ??, charging time...this list goes on and on.

Just wish I'd listened more in school now!

Hi dontknowitall, don't you just hate making mistakes? You're quite right of course, it should indeed be toe the line. As for sticking the pilot in the front seat, I could have kicked myself.

Keep reading, we've various articles coming up that help to demystify electric flight and, as I'm sure you're aware, Nigel does a cracking job in this respect in his column every month.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.

blah blah blah!!! don't want electric hate electric its not real modelling blah blah blah. pooh pooh rubbish etc!!!!

somehow i think the records got stuck AGAIN!!! guys electric flight is here to stay, you'll have to live with it i'm afraid i don't fly glow powered models anymore but do you see me moaning about the glow content of the mag??? answer in short is no because i don't bear a grudge to the oilies live and let live. i bet you guys were there moaning at the advent of the mobile phone "ooh bl***y technologists give me a payphone anyday!!" its a fact of life i'm afraid that electric flight is becoming the largest fastest growing part of our sport, so i'm afraid its going to become a bigger part of every magazine regardless of where the mag come's from. granted you have to strike a medium and be seen to cover all apects and i think RCM&E have achieved this.

eric i've got 3 of these rx's and i fly high G all the time believe me they are tried and tested they do not as far as i've used em reset by themselves!!
nasa

david we've had this conversation before all i'm saying is its the same people every month moaning and whinging about the same thing month in month out. don't like electric don't need in the mag etc i won't buy it anymore blah blah blah
i use the mobile phone example with reference to the fear of change or anything "I" don't like. the simple answer is flick through at the newsagent and put it back if you don't like the content. nobody forces you to do or buy anything. there is very few it seem's that are so pationate about NOT having electric content in the mag as you guys. it IS now after all part of the R/C scene now.
i ask why do most the devout IC brigade seem to see it as somewhat inferior to the branch of the hobby that they do. after all its all model flight regardless of how its powered. i can't afford jet turbines but i don't NOT want to see what their about in the mag.
we obviously share two completely different views and thats the way it'll stay me thinks.
nasa

hi david
its unfortunate you don't have the newsagent luxury. although it seems its only electric that you guys seem to aim at.
personally i'm not interested in trainers or WW1 modelling but its in the mag. we have to have a mag that cover's all aspects and leaving electric out of a mag because some readers don't like electric models would be corperate suicide. the readers who are interested would go elswhere for the fix as such.
nasa

to be honest david unless you go for one of the more obscure titles maybe an american mag you are unlikely to be able to find a title without electric coverage. the traplet side of things is a bit of a con really unless you are heavilly into gliding every electric article in the main mag is then repeated word for word in the eleccy mag later in the month.
the main pop's at electric flying seem to come from the older modelling fraternity those that maybe don't/can't understand the technology or are so stuck in their ways that they will not welcome anything else but ic power. i suppose a little like the way that frank wittle's design was pooh poohed by the scientific community at the time
nasa

i personally think the mix is about right. the market is absolutely full of electric at the mo and the electric presence at the clubs is most certainly getting bigger. well certainly here anyway.
to be honest i cannot see the facination in the old style models ie junior sixty,super sixty, old timer etc the old tissue dope idea etc. it does absolutely nothing for me in the slightest.
but show me something that is based on a real aircraft or something resembleing something like that and i'm all ears.i suppose its what ever floats your boat as such
nasa

The June issue seems to cover a wide range of interesting subjects in what is a very diverse hobby. Good stuff. Personally, I find it odd that some readers seem to think that the mag should, 1. Cater to their personal interests only, and 2. Have no interest whatsoever in those aspects of the hobby they do not partake in. But that's just me.

However, what I find even odder is that some apparently serious scale modellers who spend hours and hours on detailing their aircraft, can apparently ignore really obvious non-scale features such as cylinder heads and exhaust systems sticking out in the breeze and ruining the profile from even 'stand well back and squint' distance. The July issue has two perfect examples: Tony Nijhuis's Spitfire and Chris Reid's Fairey Hendon. If this subject should be bumped to another thread, I would be pleased to oblige.
Best wishes
Tony Jones

Great! I forgot to log on and had my whole post erased ! Enjoyed the july issue.Little bit of feedback here. This subscriber only thing. I think that it is a very bad idea. I can see the reasoning behind it but it is counter productive. EG I have an SU 27 by Ultrafly. I was delighted to see that Chas G has done a review as I have been waiting for one with bated breath as there were issues with the build. I especially wanted a thread to start. But it is subscriber only AND buried so deeply in the site that even a search fails to find it unless you know just where to look. This is a shame as I was looking forward to discussing direct drive options etc with other owners but this is never going to happen like this. I don't think anyone will subscribe in order to read something; web stuff is very immediate. BUT I can imagine many people thinking s*d you then! and moving on. SO stop HIDING all your good content, make it easy to see what you have reviewed and open the site to all, after all only RCM&E fans will know that it exists. So stop being petty and stop hiding the good stuff NOW! Or I will stamp my foot, pout and go and mash my shockie!

I have a question over the EZE-FAN. WHo stocks the Air Power Fan and gubbins. We've tried all over the shop and no one seems to have any in stock! Dear David and Graham if you are doing your really popular plans and Nigel ises somepne's particular gear can you make sure that the likely source is tipped off so they can have stock in and tell us where we can get it from. As it is my friend and I are having to go and re size the plan for +10% to accommodate someone else's 68mm fan which isn't! doh....

Peter
Sorry to hear that, it's always frustrating and it always suprises me to see just how little stock retailers/distributors actually have sometimes.
Airpower stock them, they've advertised on page 86 in the current issue. Nigel mentioned BRC hobbies in his article too, have they both run out?
It's a tough one, we can't make folks stock these things and retailers can be very tricky to convince that they should invest in an order before an issue.
Will make enquries this week.
I recall the little Mini Jazz plan from 1997 that cleared the countries shelves of .15 two-strokes!

David

peter
the fans should be availiable from BRC hobbies as mentioned in the article. they are known as an SF fan. if you are resizing 10% you can fit a 70mm fan ie ap700 airpower, wemotec 480 minifan, 68mm on a 10% bigger will struggle
regards
nasa

p.s in graham and david's defence the fans were in stock when the plan went to press.

I bought a copy at the weekend, having strangely started to re-kindle an interest in flying.

The balance seems pretty good, between 'leccy and IC, although I'm trying to learn about electric right now, as I'd rather fly that way. I wandered 'round my 'local' model shop on Saturday just before I bought the mag. Howes models seem to stock mostly ARTF, and most of that is electric. If their shop is anything to go by, the magazine is catering for the historical side quite well.

Anyway, I've quite enjoyed my browse through so far. Maybe I should go through my old radio modeller & RCME mags and plans looking for models that can be electrified.

nasa,
Many thanks - have decided to buy a minifan and in the satges of enlarging plan by 10% and making some sizing adjustments. Thanks for the response. Did try to get to spec but the Fan and gubbins spec'd in the article weren't in stock a couple of weeks ago. Being keen I decided to have a moan and complicate things.
Thanks
Peter

I bought the July issue because it had a Free Electric Plan. The model works for me.
Seems that with a little reworking, it would make a passable RBF? Fanjet. That is with a higher aspect ratio wing, T tail. It could have Iron Crosses or a civilian livery.

I also get very bored by the constant carping by the IC Ludites. I also agree with the point that with scale electric models, there is no cylinder head or exhaust hanging out in the breeze.

I understand John Emms wish to defend the originality and quality of the ESCs he markets. I just think it is a pity that it is not acknowledged that quite a few of the Far Eastern products are also of good to high quality. Yes there are some poor quality products. I do believe that more than a few big names source from these areas. The likes of Robotbirds and BRC Models do us a favour by importing these Far Eastern products. I am very pleased at the performance and quality of these Far Eastern products (motors, ESC, servos). As for being inferior copies, as a Professional Engineer I spent my whole career copying and trying to improve other peoples ideas and concepts (Dyson did not invent the Cyclone, he only used it for domestic cleaning). I would suggest that the capable Czechs etc are standing on the shoulders of giants from Joule, Ohm, Newton. Who designed the IC the heart of most of devices, produced example circuit diagrams, the CAD auto router and circuit layout software. As you can guess it annoys me when manufactures and agents overstate the Intellectual Property issue.

A very Annoyed
Erfolg

• 2 weeks later...
Greetings, I am new here but I had to state my peace. I was reading Andy Ellison's article and noted some misinformation regarding "THE FASTEST MODEL EVER". Joe Manor did indeed break the 305 mph barrier but he didn't do it with any kind of a "Destiny"! If you look at the picture of the 160" Dynamic does it look like a Destiny to you? He has flown them but Joe has been designing and building his own planes and has a stable of them known as "Dynamics". The 60" and 80" versions have become so popular that he has stopped taking production orders. The 160" inch monster that he created and broke the record with was indeed a 160" DYNAMIC of his own design, not any form of a copy of a Destiny. If you wish to see one of the build threads from inception of concept through completion I suggest you follow this link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303670&highlight=Dynamic+60+

Thank you for your time and quite a wonderful publication! Brad Baier AKA IMoonbark