S.L.O.M.

Advert

Thanks for posting that again. I'm on the phone to my legal team right now

I offered fellow SLOM Mr. Lloyd a unique opportunity to tramp up half a mountain at the bottom of hay bluff. Looked ace on Google Maps. It was a 200 metre climb up the face, but hey that's all part and parcel for the committed sloper. 

Still we had fun. Better than working. Which is what I'm doing now

I dragged SLOM out to the Brown Clee today - after much map reading and fiddling about online. Beautiful day, good 14mph-ish on the slope - just a shame it was coming in at 45 degrees. So much for Google Earth. Even if it had been right on, I'm not sure this is a slope to return to. Hey ho. Should just take the whole day off and head west in future...

That's from the highest point in Shropshire - looking out towards Andy E's favourite - the Long Mynd

Here's our hero testing the waters...

... and his Fusion trying to stay up

getting lower and lower...

.. and his recovered Thing. Balance all out of sorts - despite setting it to SAS instructions. Hmmm.

SO - conclusion - I still need to find a southerly site

Nice pics Matthew. At least I'm not wearing the Crossroads "Benny" hat! That thing looks ace in those colours. Shame if flies like a drunken anorak.

Haresfield is okay in a southerly. But you must be able to find something closer to you with all those hills.  I'm going mountaineering with foam on my back on the south side of the Hay Ridge "Hey kids, have I got a FUN day for you today, go fetch your crampons"

Getting divorced if XC weather is right I'll have a new glider to fly as well!

I think the question is "what am I doing saturday and sunday". And the answers won't include

a) Going MTB'ing for a whole day
b) Power flying
c) Doing anything not involving wife, kids and probably a paintbrush.

It'd be worth it tho. That's a fat looking Westerly! Do we know any slopes that might work with?

Edited By Alex Leigh on 29/04/2009 22:20:19

Oh yeah. All in a day ?

They'll be flying the big scale-ies off Garway. That might be worth a look. Reckon they'd fancy some combat ? 

Mid Wales in a big westerly. I'm going to have to go and have a lie down. I've come over all peculiar.  I used to be like that when checking maps/forecasts for new MTB routes. I am coming to the conclusion, this switch of allegiance just proves I'm getting old

Moving is a bit drastic even for this SLOM. And I was born in Yorkshire, so I know what you're all like House Harmony is not that great after I slipped out twice today, as I've been working silly hours but still found time to fly. Oops.

I have W/SWish/NW  slopes close. E/NE an hour away. Likewise S/SE. I need to do some more exploring as their are some very promising contours. Although round here, I may need a chainsaw to make them a bit more slopey

Proper SLOM like behaviour is being asked by your eldest daughter if you want to go for a walk and agree only if you can load model into the car, drive 10 mins and then walk along the FP to the chucking spot. I did let her throw it tho at her repeated request.

That very nearly ended quite badly Then "Dad it's getting quite dark, shouldn't we go home and walk the dog", me: "Oh sugar, we FORGOT THE DOG" . I meant to bring him as well.

Quite single minded, the ol' SLOM.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, this is picky, but what's really bothering me about the SLOM article is that he says it only afflicts the X chromosome ... not where I fly, it always seems to be men ... ie we of the Y chromosome persuasion ...