Design It Yourself! - What you are designing around the Peter Miller series of articles

Just tested the vac forming thing, it sucks... (buh - dum tiss)

it will hold an A4 sheet of paper on, it doesn't have any heat source or anything, its just the vacuum table with a vacuum cleaner attached, will get a youtube vid of it

Aren't K&S sillily expensive offcuts? when i was researching making my own exhaust, i almost fainted at the price of brass sheet...

If i got really desperate i could go ask my old school if i can borrow their vac former!

Advert

Peter, using trhe school vac former is the best answer of all.

The K&S plastic is good stuff. The alternative is to ask Steve Davis at Vortex-vaccform to supply you with some sheet, He can do bigger sheets cost depends on size and thickness.

The home made vacformers are only any good for really small canopies etc.

Edited By Phil Wood - Moderator on 30/05/2009 09:08:38

Hi all .. 

Great reading Peter.

Thought i'd post a pic of my latest OD model a Christen Husky, should be around 58 inch span and 8 inch chord if I ever get it finished. For electric power. Drew up my plan in TurboCad from a 3 view I found online. Will be stand off scale ..

Still deciding how to do the canopy for this one ...

Edited By Glenn Howcroft on 02/06/2009 23:18:27

Thanks for the replies Peter (s) .. 

The sides are actually from 1/16th ply ... heavier I know but with all those wholes it's not too bad .. and strong. Theres also a pair of 1/4 sq balsa longerons top and bottom of each side running full length. .. You can see from the attached working plan ..

The floats are from a free plan on i found at   www.svensons.com/airplanes .. the wing section is also from another plan .. but the rest is mine. I've made some changes from the plan shown .. just not had time to redo it ..

I'll try the plastic sheet for the screen ... 

Right. 1/16th ply. Still an interesting idea that I shall remember. A variation on the old crutch method.

Peter, I believe that one gets far more out of modelling if one has a great interest in full size aircraft. I like to to know the history of any scale model that I design. I also spend a lot of time absorbing stuff. IT comes in useful when looking for projects etc.

Mind you, I have had an awful lot more years to absorb all that information.

I know .. i know .. liteply would have been better. I just happened to have the 1/16th ply already and im tight with my money !!! . Saying that the model as shown with wire U/C and fiberglass skins on the bottom of the floats only weighs in at  1lb 3 oz ..

Peter, your right about the full size planes .. I was at RAF Cosford museum last week, had a fantastic day. It really gives you a buzz for making models when you get up close to the aircraft you've only seen in books. Standing under a Vulcan bomber looking up into the open bomb bay is something i'll not forget !! .. or walking around the TSR2 .. magic

I came away with loads of photo's and another 2 or 3 models on the "must do" list .

you going to the duxford LMA thing? its on the day before my b day! 18 & 19 of july, we are going camping in wolverly near a disused airfield.

I made a bit of a mistake on the tailplane so i had to rub the back fuse out and i have drawn it again, i might build the wing now as i have finished drawing it

Now there's a good reason to go down the CAD route Peter  I use a free version called Solid edge 2D its only a 2 dimensional proggrame but serves the purpose well and for an easier more accurate way to copy scale outlines a photo can be inserted and traced over. 1st photo is a screen shot of an indoor bipe I'm working on it has a comedy theme and a model of mutley for a pilot the main criteria being keeping it cheap so mostly built from recycled materials.
Just to demonstrate the principle of tracing over a photo here is the drawing of the stern view of a model boat I'm also working on

The same principle can be applied to an aircraft fuselage

Edited By Phil Winks on 06/06/2009 18:39:30

Mr savage if you think boats dull you've never watched offshore model power boat racing have a gander at this site the thrills and spills are great fun.

Yes Peter M it tends to be the build/design that I enjoy most however the scale  steering comps can be fun and quite a challenge getting around a fairly tight course without touching the markers and an incredibly relaxing pastime

Edited By Phil Winks on 07/06/2009 17:06:32

Np on the ply comment Peter . it's the first time i've tried building the sides like that .. bit of an experiment .. but im happy with the results so far ..

I must admit that I build more than I fly .. Once I've flown the model 3 or 4 times its time for another build.

I do boats as well, (hides face in shame ), Thats part of the reason the Husky is on floats .. 

As Phil says boats are fun .. but as I prefer electrics have a look at http://www.ampdraggers.co.uk/  

I do believe there faster than IC as well .. they just dont race as long.  I've clocked the mono 1 fast electrics at over 40 miles an hr with the club speed gun .. mono 2,3 and the hydros are faster !!!