FlyFly Hawk

Tim Mackey

Hi Timbo,sad news about your Hawk. I have been reading your comments about Dusty's Hawk, and about the fact that he is in Germany. Am I to presume that the postal charges were going to be awfully high for him to post his Hawk to you?.
We have a coach company in the West Midlands who go to Austria regularly, and they have an over-night stop in Germany out and back. They stop in Limburg on the outward trip and do a stop in the outskirts of Cologne on the return.

The companies name is Parry's International, and they are based in Landywood Lane, nr to Walsall. The phone number is 01922-414576. If Dusty lived anywhere near either of these two locations, it's possible that for a few pounds the Coach company might be able to fit Dustys Hawk in the luggage compartment of one of their coaches. They might need to know the dimensions of the boxes that it would be in.

It's just a thought, and it depends how badly you would like to aquire Dusty's Hawk. My partner and i travelled with the company recently, and the drivers are very amenable, and i could possibly have a word if you think i was worth while. If this was possible, I could always use a trip out to Wales for a days leisure.

Regards..... Handyman..( Tony )

Advert

Hi Tony - and many thanks for that. I have ordered another new hawk from JEPE, but still intended to get dustys old one when the chance arose. Im sure dusty will spot this post, - I will PM him to be sure, and then he can let us know if these places are anywher near.
Many thanks for the offer again
PS if something does get arranged, then you will be most welcome to join me in Wales for some flying

LOL.... yeh right Stephen...you just want me out of the way for a few days so you can run riout dont ya
Finally had an email from jean paul to sya it was being packed yesterday, and will be shipped any day now - think the poor guy has abit too much on at the moment - and computers /emails /websites etc are not his thing really. Will let you know when it arrives, and post some piccies - but dont expect  a build blog until Autumn at the earliest.

Hi dusty..." fast foam " version was £ 120, and shipping was £15 to UK.
Not bad I guess as it is a large box..as you know
The 1600 HYK motor survived the crash ( about all that did actually ) so I will pair it up again with a replacement midifan - I like the Midifan - they are still one of the most efficient  6s fans around I reckon

I do like the look and sound of the lander units, but they are thirsty huh! If the motor had been goosed, then I might have tried a lander unit TBH.

Tim thats a good price and shipping is good to, I wonder what system he is using, when the box arrives have a look as if its a EU company then I can check it out for my hawk to you...

Well you see the 70mm lander 6s one's are efficient on the new motors as with all the drama's on the other thread this is the outcome and designed for this reason, so my figures were correct for type ... So i wonder what the 90mm are doing, GW says he is putting a Lander 90mm in his new flyfly model so I guess the answer's will be there on what he getting out of that unit, the sound is a plus for sure, once they flying they sound really cool, even the small 64mm metal cyclones sounds wicked... So maybe its a option, but lets see what happens, maybe that motor would fit in the fan, probably sound like a fool but I have not researched the dimensions of the EDF or you current motor, but if it did then BONUS as all you would need is the EDF!

TBH - I can t see the 90mm lander being much better, if at all, than the HYK and Midifan combo. The midifans efficiency is way better than the flyfly rotor for example - I got much higher static thrust for lower amps than with the flyfly fan...usre the Amps and therefore wattts are higher, but then thats not the whole picture is it - thrust is what matters at the end of the day. The lander 90mm unit uses a 1600 Kv motor anyway , and of course has to a bit heavier as its metal! I never had any overheating problems with my MF combo in the hawk, and performance, although not "dustyballistic" style was adquate for me, and everyone who saw it fly felt it was quite scale like. I actually dont like screaming fast stuff - never really have TBH - especially the smaller hotliner stuff - sure its impressive at first, but then being a scale man at heart, I like to actually see the darn thing as more than just a blur as it screams past at a zillion MPH
Heres a flyfly hawk with the lander unit. Not much different to mine TBH
( except it is now )

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 23/07/2009 18:56:01

keep banging off the emails and he will eventually get back to you
That Mirage is pretty quick - not as quick as my old one of many years ago though - when I was still a hooligan. 65" G/F fus - veneered foam wings, retracts with gear doors,  - Rossi 90 rear induction tuned motor and tuned pipe, witha prop which hit supersonic tip speed in the dive - really!
Man that thing was fast.... sold it about 15 years ago for next to nowt -  however, it would never pass a noise test these days.

Big box arrived today from Jean Paul ( JEPE )
Initial impressions are good - all the major pieces are intact with no signs of any damage ( unlike tje first one which had a few breaks in some pieces - nothing major I hasten to add... but still present. Of course, being the "fast foam" version, its all plain white, ready for covering and painting as you wish, after assembly. I am going to use the laminating epoxy and ligtweight nylon that jepe siupplied on this one. Other mods are to the AMT arrangement, balsa intake ducting work ( which is NOT pre-done, and balsa T?E on the AMT etc. A supply of carbon fibre tow is also supplied along with these bits above.
Nice to find that the AMT axle ghas already been modified, with the central horn already soldered in place. A DVD is also supplied which illustrate ( no text ) with good quality pictures ( far better than the flyfly manual ! ) these various mods.
All in all, pleased so far

You reckon....? I do like the red arrows scheme, but cant make my mind up.
I now have 3 BAe Hawks in one form /state or another
The Sloper which is currently red arrows scheme
The Ultrafly which dusty very kindly passed on to me - in a USA red and white scheme
The new flyfly...as yet undecided....but seems an obvious canditate for that lovely black version

Do you think I may have a hawk addiction

The modellers version of "bird" flu

Tim the UF hawk was originaly this colour before it fell in love with a tree... A early RAF trainer scheme..

The red arrow colours are nice "I agree"

However most manufactored modelsof hawks seem to come in the RA colours and somewhat gets boring seeing the same colours unless 2 or 3 models are flying in a display, so my verdict is do something different and custom as you have a great base there to do a nice custom/scale paint job IMO

Edited By Dusty on 28/07/2009 16:23:42

That's what's made me ill. .....I've been working on these wings and it's contageous.
 Dusty's black version does look pretty mean so I'd give that a try.

Polyphilla.

Edited By Phil Wood - Moderator on 28/07/2009 16:44:42

Phil I wish that Hawk was mine , that's like 10 gorrila's worth of Turbine Hawk  at a local show!

So thats 2 vote's for Tim's hawk now

Incidentally dusty... I tried a couple of other motors I had lying around in the UF and think I shall be going wiuth the following combo - the 3500Kv and 4.7" square prop is just a bit too hot for my liking ( or eyesight ! ) on a 3s LiPo .
When I ran it up on the data logger it was showing a hefty 40A and 460 Watts.
Bit OTT for a 21 oz model !!
I am aiming for a more modest 150 Wplb which equates to about 200 Watts target.
 I shall also prefer a bit more thrust so will use a larger diameter prop ( yes I will watch out for the torque roll )
I have a few choices now, including the repaired Sonix 3500Kv on a 2s battery which shows 26A /195 Watts on 5 X 5 prop, or  33A / 242 Watts on a 6 X 4.

My other motors are not such hot winds - a 2200Kv and a 2600 Kv and on these I can get
2200Kv on 3s and 5 X 5 prop = 21A  and 245 Watts
2600Kv on 3s and 5 X5 prop =  24A  and 300 Watts

So, likely starter will be the Sonix 3500kv on 2s and a 5 x 5 prop
or.... the 2200 kv motor on the same prop but 3s pack with less current, but more weight of course.

WOW ... That sonix you ran up must be better wound, the other's only max 350w on peak with a 25c pack... 34a when we last run up on the "watts up", some time ago... with 5x5.

UH hawk on 460W even my eyes would'nt cope with that! I dont think the model would cope either.. defo wing clapping : - (

The UH was designed with a gearbox turning a 7x6 or something and they looked nippy on that judging Utube vids.

We just had to take thing's alot further and make it faster, incedently that motor is designed for ugly things that the earth repels...? I think

Yes i realise the original design was a gearbox jobby, and did wonder how the lack of box and resulting diffrerent  thrust line might affect things? The gearbox version would put the prop well off centre line of "thrust tube" but with direct drive it centres pretty much.