FlyFly Hawk

Tim Mackey

Mmmm, your right, the thrust line with gearing is higher, however, whe we originaly got the models they came with a UF brushless motor that we binned, memory serves correct in the manual there was a geared setup and direct drive for brushless even.... A 5x5 on direct drive was a handful, Uf state a 6x4 or something... on direct drive off top of head, there are 2 manuals, lets see what other people are flying on? I know with hot setups there are vids of people bungee-ing the beast into the sky...

The custom setups were intended for racing one another ( I wont mentsionnames) but if he is reading this he know's who won !

Advert

I just love Hawks in black-I got me one o these!
Yep, my Hawk there Timbo, tasty scheme is that , one day it will be finished!!
......and my FlyFly,and my spare (3rd UF Hawk)

I love them, but there again,there are tons of planes I like....Gotta finish this Marauder first..

Hey Dusty, you got the F-18 going yet?

Ahem.....back on topic keep the Hawks coming guys!

Edited By Matt Halton on 28/07/2009 21:43:10

Matt....is that the fly fly hawk there in the picture? If so, how did you get such a high gloss black finish? I will be covering and painting mine, but used Tamiya acrylic paint on the first one, which was pretty good, but the black I think needs to be very glossy to work well, and I am not sure I would achiev that with the same type of paint.

No Tim,this is another Hawk, made by a guy in the USA 'Mr Boogie.' on RC Groups.,fantasic piece of kit for 70mm fans, with nesr scale inlets/outlet size too,quite a large model for 70mm fans.It has a pre painted glass fuse,and film covered wings. Tailparts are moulded in glass  as well.
It has retracts fitted too, the guys driving it were carved by yours truly.

I have BAe Hawks coming out of the woodwork here,also got the FlyFly job, covered in PC and Silkspan, colour of course,will be black,with a 90mm Schubie and Hacker B50/11 and 602's.

I dud have a buy this and buy that mebtality for a while,and many ARTF's but now am settling into homebuilds again.

However,I'd love to get the new  F-14A from X-Flite (I sincrely adore Tomcats too)...I'm resisting,I'm resisting!!!!!!

Edited By Matt Halton on 28/07/2009 23:40:00

Matt its built but I have been waiting some time now for some stuff to arrive, I need to put some MG servo's on the tailerons and some higher amp esc's too then I can complete it. I may paint the yellow trims on as the supplied solar film ya on the small side, wanted to make the yellow tips bigger, i know that is not scale but my other f18 I have a seriously hard time trying to orintate... will get some pics later in the day... I'm off to go cut some holes in the sky  make the most of my last 2 days of leave

Posted by Timbo - Moderator on 28/07/2009 23:18:58:
Matt....is that the fly fly hawk there in the picture? If so, how did you get such a high gloss black finish? I will be covering and painting mine, but used Tamiya acrylic paint on the first one, which was pretty good, but the black I think needs to be very glossy to work well, and I am not sure I would achiev that with the same type of paint.

Tim maybe, only way is to fly her and see what happens. I found whilst with the 5x5 when the power opened uo whilst flying, it would roll and pitch up so its all about the power probably, slower rpm's would be better

• 3 weeks later...
Gents,

I can confirm the Cyrils centre wheel mod works great! I couldnt have the Hawk sitting around doing nort (Sorry Tim)...

But I used a centre wheel conversion and kept the model as light as possible, I kept the standard elevator linkege (beefed up with fibreglass and decent MG servos)..

Wow she was airborne in about 20 meters rolling on the ground (grass) and was not short of speed or manoverablity (limited as no rudder made yet), but loops, rolls, inverted etc was np, vertical was awesome and once rudder is made hammerheads and knife edge should be a breeze! One the second landing the carbon fibre axle broke but have replaced with thicker and used ply to support the carbon rod too...

I did not abuse the model too much for fearing the weak/sloppy elevator... but keep the g's done and gettle then you should be ok... Own one yes!! This turns heads at the field, now when is someone going to get stock of the Mirage?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, comments passed on to the young camera lady! Ya that fan makes a lot of noise, thrust is good, despite all the noise the figures are in the green, those are 20c lipos and they not sweating after a hard work out in the gym..  Must get new fan...  when wife not looking

Ya this is a great model, its big and has a lot of presence especially with the noise lol!! I hope the Jepe version wich no doubt will be 10x better and a total keeper Tim. I hope you can review this model again with all the updates and mods... I have had to do a lot of work for these results also, well worth it!

• 8 months later...
Timbo

I'm considering parting with money any day now to buy a FlyFly Hawk as long as I can find a suitable site to fly it from as my club patch is a bit rough for EDF.

It's second hand and all built up, retracts, just taxied around, never flown.

Any tips from a former owner of this model as to spec/things to look out for?

Hi Allen,

I would rather invest in the JEPE/Flyfly fastfoam Hawk! Search fastfoam Hawk and see my Hawk. The Jepe version will fly a lot better, on my thread you can see all the mods etc that are done! Feel free to ask questions!

I dont believe the standard flyfly  retracts are any good  - especially on grass. I used qualkity metal air operated "springair" units in mine, and modded the mountings a fair bit.
I have seen them hand launched, or use a single wheel in the centre of the belly ( dusty did this mod on his older one ). Alternatively you could fit drop tanks and fi wheels in those.
If you do attempt ROG, ensure the wheel geometry is such that a reasonable angle of attack is present when rolling on the ground.
Finally, DO NOT use the flimsy elevator control system of the original - this is one mod that is pretty darn essential...ask me how I know

• 2 weeks later...
Timbo/Dusty,

I have finally been converted from composite to foam, having just been smashing my credit card around the Jepe site (thanks to Dusty's build thread on his Mirage)

Just ordered their 6S 90mm Jepe fan/motor having just ditched the Lander 90mm fan. I am definatly on the German viewpoint of lower amps and high efficency than the USA based all out power and speed perspective ampliyfied by the amp hungry Lander fan.

Now, all i need is a new model to put this new Jepe fan into. Unless you can persude me otherwise, it will have to be a Jepe fast foam kit, only problem is I'm not sure which one. I am torn between the Hawk, F-86, F-100 and MB339.

I am after the one which flys best. (I know, opinions and all that). I'm not after speed, but eassy flyability, stability, particlaurly at slow speed, ease of ROG  from grass (noting that I will modifiy the AOA and retracts).

What are your views?

P.S have you seen the DB sport and Scale new 90mm EDF Vampire kit. Not yet released, but I have created a new thread.

Edited By Ackers on 01/06/2010 15:30:42

Cant really help much Ackers due to only having flown the Hawk. I have seen the Sabre fly
and its fine too. I doubt theres much difference TBH, just choose what floats yer boat.

I had no issues with the flying characteristics of the hawk - nice at all speeds, as long as you appreciate its a jet...and dont slow down too much in the turns etc.

Ackers,

Speed = Mirage, F-4, F-22 (Mirage and f-22 will fly very well at slow speed and easy to fly)

Scale = Sabre (jepe setup great vertical)

The Hawk wont be as fast as the Mirage etc but I will let you know asap when I fly my fast foam Jepe one! I am expecting decent speed on 7s for a chunky frame, could boost that up with 8s but increase in the Amp draw and extra weight so probably not much gain.

The F-100 and Mb339 have poor ducting so i dont think JEPE will consider these as fast foam options from my last conversation with him! So probably sums them up unless you going to have high amp draw setups etc etc.

What about the Mig 29 from Jepe?

2x 70mm 4s fans for scale flying or open the envelope with 2x 70mm 5s jepe fans. Build light!

Maybe give Jepe a call to give you some custom advise!

Check out Kevin Saunder vid on Utube of his Jepe Mirage!

Dusty