Range check

Alan

Hi just after getting a Futaba T6EX when doing a range check should it be done in a open field {No obstacles}.
As i tried to do it in my back garden with my Futaba 2.4 on power down mode and only got to about 30feet before loosing signal.

Does it have to be line of sight.

Alan 

Advert

It should be done wherever you intend to fly !

I guess at home, that there could be lots of other 2.4ghz transmission going on, digisenders for tranmission around the home, usually  for tv / sky , and routers etc. I know they should be tied in for the the Futaba tx / rx. but I bet they can weaken or could interfer with the stregnth of the TX signal.

Try over a field and let us know.

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 05/05/2009 11:01:29

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 05/05/2009 11:02:56

Hi tried my range check in an open area and distance was greatly improved. >>

Last question and probably a daft one  does the to 2 aerials on a 2.4GHz Rx have to be on the outside off the aircraft or can the be stored inside the fuselage.

Thanks Alan

• 3 months later...
If you are not succeeding in a range check,try to change the receiver v1st.I assume we are checking both,but as you always do it with a fresh model especially,it must be the introduced receiver you are checking.I suppose its assumed you are always using the transmitter anyway,therefore im assuming its the fresh item ie receiver thats being checked

Last weekend revealed a range issue with the AR6200 fitted to my Panic, usually I can walk beyond the suggested 90 ft but on this occassion I lost control at a couple of steps further. I tried a different orientation of the plane resulting in no improvement. I then range tested another plane fitted with the AR500 which performs well beyond the 90ft distance. I sent the suspect AR6100 to Horizon for checking and they contacted me today saying the main reciever was 'giving very good range, satellite slightly less but within spec'. To their credit they replaced the reciever 'for my peace of mind', which I greatly appreciate. The replacement is working beyond the range of the previous one so I am still a little unsure as to the diagnosis. Perhaps control at 90 ft is acceptable and I shouldn't worry beyond that distance!
ps the recievers are installed 90 degrees to one and other as are the aerials.

John,
I think you have been worrying about a problem that doesn’t exist.
The standard range test  is 30 paces(90 feet) with the receiver on the ground, this is deemed by the manufacturer to be adequate for the test,  here the surrounding terrain  alters the polar radiation pattern of the model’s antenna. Ground reflections at varying distances (in wave lengths) will tend to add to, and also to cancel the signal to some degree. This near field electromagnetic effect ceases as the model rises.
 As far as radio signals are concerned height is your friend.
 If the receiver passes the ground test, then once clear of the ground the range will increase considerably.
If you fly off the Orme then there is the added advantage of apparent height gain plus the dielectric constant and conductivity of seawater, almost infinite range.