BAE Hawk - Red Arrows

Hi,
I'm presently looking towards my next model - a large'ish scale Hawk (possibly Colchester A1 Models / AMD / JHH ?) and am wondering about options other than turbines ! Can anyone recommend an engine / ducted fan set up that I can take a further look at ?
Please be warned I'm a complete novice here so thanks in anticipation of your assistance!
Many thanks,
Rob

Advert

• 1 month later...
Sorry Rob

Was following Lee Morgans good advice on How to publish Photos on the forum the easy way however it all went pear shaped and I could'nt remove it.

Hopefully somebody will from the website

I have a Topgun Park Flite ducted fan BAE hawk Foamie that I thought might of been of Interest to you

When I get chance I will try to download a photo again and a few comments on specs and how it performs

Regards Alan

Hi Rob

Think Ive actually got it now

Picked this up at the local model shop on a whime for £130

Everthing in the box ie Tx charger etc. Esc 25A brushless-2040 in runner brushless motor Ducted Fan 11.1 1800Mah Lipo

Took it to my local club and comments were "will it Fly! Boy it does! sounds like a Dyson on start up!

It was very impressive stable at high and low speeds and after about 10 mins flying a nice slow landing

Taxi back on the steerable nose wheel - how good does it get! Just looking for 8 mates to form the Sqaudron!

Regards Alan

Just a word of caution on this Hawk, when it was being brought in by Sola [and being sold on e-bay]....things were going very wrong.

It turned out that if you stick a Lipo in rated any higher than 12c....the ESC goes into meltdown....and still does on the Topgun version. Also, the motors were not lasting long.

The airframe is superb, and is screaming [pardon the pun] for something better. I would go with the airframe/fan, stick your own motor in it, 40A ESC, and a decent reciever [Jeti MPD] as the layout is just asking for glitching....I know...I was one of those who had one of the Sola ones!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Scott,
Cheers for the info.
When I start this plane up the motor just seems to stop when you give it full power - unless the battery is absolutely 100% charged ?
If I was to just upgrade the ESC from the stock 25a to 40a would this, alone, solve the problems do you think ?
I don't want to spend / waste a fortune on this plane but fancy at least a bit of fun flying it !
Regards,
Rob.

That is almost certainly the ESC cutting out due to overload, I think get shut of the 25A job, and go up to 35-40A. I am assuming it's the standard 12c Lipo? If it's 20c, there is your problem, but I'm not sure the standard motor will take it either [again, assuming you bought the package deal?]. The quality of the standard ESC is suss, and it's in a poor mount for static testing, it will need the airflow supplied by the two top air-intakes to run cool....another reason to go overboard with the ESC rating, just re-check C of G when you have fitted the larger ESC!

Scott - I've checked and the lipo is a 12c.
This doesn't really mean much to me ?
So is the motor likely to be OK do you think ?
I've read, somewhere, on forums about a possible heat sink problem and / or a cooling / air intake problem ? Does this ring true ? Again I'm sorry but I'm really out of my depth and very grateful of your help.
If it helps the Hawk, apparently weights 620g ?
Cheers again,
Rob

Ok, I think the ESC is tripping out for one of two reasons;

1 - It's simply not up to the job

2 - It's over-heating with the static test....like I said, it's in a lousy position for cooling until in flight. Flying it and going deadstick is not worth the risk

So, basically, I would just replace it. There is a possiblity of the motor being the fault, but ESC is first call.

Like I said, the best option [because they fly so well.....so they are worth it], personally, is to ditch both, and fly it on a "proper" 20c Lipo....it will go like stink!

Thanks Scott,
Any SPECIFIC (i.e. manufacturers / specific models) recommendations would be gratefully received for the esc, motor, lipo etc.... ?
The plane was only about £100 so I don't want to spend a fortune on it.
Who is the best company you'd recommend to buy these from and what sort of money do you think I'd best budget for ?
BIG THANKS, again,
Rob.

PS What sort of performance (eg mph etc...) would your stock set up achieve in comparison to the recommended upgrade ?
This could be quite exciting !
I'm now wondering about a set of mini-retracts. I recall some guy selling one, again on e-bay, recently which he's converted and I tok the liberty of saving the photos ! I wonder if these conversions will leave me with a top notch little model ?
Rob.

BRC are good people, and will give you a totally matched set up, for very resonable money. Mini retracts are again available....how practical however, I'm not sure.

It's actually quite easy to get the fan unit out of the Hawk, you just need to cut the pieces of foam either side on top of the fan [unscrew and remove the rear tailplane], then it's a little tugging and the fan will come out, use a hot glue gun to stick back in, including the 2 peices of foam.

Best bet would be a decent in-runner, matching ESC, and 20c 2100mAh Lipo [the larger battery will fit by removing a little foam from the front of the battery tray].

• 5 months later...

Hi

This occasionally happens to the best and the worse of us. Pictured above in a previous post is a photo of my Top Gun BAE HAWK. Thought you guys and girls might like to see it in action. I was'nt happy with the supplied radio gear so I converted it to Spekrum.

It happened on a cold dark afternoon about a month ago! I will try and put a direct link to YouTube if not just type in the ULR on your browser

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jRAqXaNzR08

There was no transmitter staring or pilot error - I promise!  well thats my story anyway!

Al