Protecting plans.

Terence Lynock

If you build a model direct onto the plan it will inevitably take some damage or get covered in glue and paint etc, so buy a roll of cheap sticky backed clear plastic and cover your wing plans in particular because it is usually wings that get wiped off and need repair or rebuild.
It makes your plans a lot tougher and able to survive the building process plus they will be wipe clean and ultimately reusable when you need them, glue at the joints doesnt stick to the plan either,

regards,          Terry

Edited By Terence Lynock on 20/05/2009 23:09:30

Advert

Terry,

Before I build anything from a plan, I get the plan copied at the local copy shop £2-00 ish for an A1 size copy, then it's not a problem if the copy gets trashed. Get two copies at the same time and the second one can be used to transfer formers, ribs ect onto the wood whilst kiting the model out..

The old photo copiers are getting rare, and to transfer images from plans copied on these I normally iron the image onto the wood. Doesn't work well if at all with lazer copied images, with these I place the image face down on the wood, then dab acetone or cel thinners onto the back of the plan over the wood. Takes hardly any time at all for the image to transfer.

And you still have a pristine original to build another.

Cheers,

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...
Flippin Eck Doug,

The local copy shop is £2 for A1 and about £3.50 for A0. I like to keep my originals in good nick. My collection of plans is running at about 300 with some back to the old Aeromodeller Plans Service when it used to be at Allen House in Leicester. Lots of magazine plans as well, I did start to catalogue them on a spreadsheet but lost interest after about 150. the problem as Terry has said that in the early days they were damaged by the building process and some of my older ones have had to be patched up a bit. Even so they are copiable so not all is lost.

Cheers,

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...
Balsa cabin supply "protech a plan" a thin plastic sheet that's large enough to cover the entire plan and even cyno doesn't stick to it. I think its £1.95 for a pack of two sheets.

Link below.

http://www.zyworld.com/balsacabin/page2.htm

Posted by Big Bandit on 25/05/2009 23:03:58:
Terry,

Before I build anything from a plan, I get the plan copied at the local copy shop £2-00 ish for an A1 size copy, then it's not a problem if the copy gets trashed. Get two copies at the same time and the second one can be used to transfer formers, ribs ect onto the wood whilst kiting the model out..

The old photo copiers are getting rare, and to transfer images from plans copied on these I normally iron the image onto the wood. Doesn't work well if at all with lazer copied images, with these I place the image face down on the wood, then dab acetone or cel thinners onto the back of the plan over the wood. Takes hardly any time at all for the image to transfer.

And you still have a pristine original to build another.

Cheers,

I do exactly the same.

My Flair Puppeteer that I am building at the moment comes with a plan that is like tracing paper. It is an old original MK1.

Was able to get the wing panel copied in reverse, so no need to spray the "copied" plan with WD40 to make it transparent..

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 22/06/2009 18:25:50

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 22/06/2009 18:26:08