Problem with Balsaloc and Fighteraces paint?

Solly

I am just finishing a Short Seamew scratch-built model, and have covered it with nylon, using Balsaloc to tack it in place round the edges. This was sealed with 2 coats full strength shrinking dope and 2 thinned coats of non-shrinking dope. Fighter Aces paint was then applies by brush, and all looked well. After 5 days, some of the areas where Balsaloc had been used popped up in a series of bubbles and ridges. At the moment I am ironing these down, which of course removes the paint!, and bringing the surface back with grey primer and wet&dry before re- painting.  The only cause of this I can think of is that both Balsloc and the paint are water-based, and some kind of reaction is occurring. I have used this excellent paint in the past with good results, but not with Balsaloc. Anyone else had this?

Advert

This is a strange one, as surely the 4 coats of dope completely seal off the balsaloc from the paint?

The guy that runs/distributes the paint is very active on another forum that has been down recently, but is now working again..........  I'm sure he will be happy to help.

Hi Andy. I have spoken to Phil at Fighter Aces and he is as mystified as I am! He certainly has not heard of this problem before.
The frustating thing is that as the days go by, more bubbles appear. I can only hope that they eventually stop, otherwise it means stripping the model and starting again.
Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
Gordon,    It's been years since I have bothered to used slik and nylon , but never ever used Balsaloc.  I'm sure  Balsaloc and dope are inconpatible.

My covering was immersed in warm water, excess water was removed, then draped over the pretreated airframe and doped on. It  dried tight but cloudy, but that was no problem as it was painted

These days If I want a fabric look of a WW1  I use Solartex.

This last weekend (13-14 June)  at RAF Halton was a meet of DH Moths, a mixed bag of 40 + beautiful Moths. Many had fantasic paint finishes, so good was the finish, you would never believe they were fabric.

Edited By Terry Whiting on 16/06/2009 08:07:59

Hi Terry, thanks for the comment. I suppose it could be the dope/balsaloc combination that's causing the problem. It's just that all was well until I applied the paint. Actually over the past week the problem has considerably worsened and I have now stripped all the covering off  down to the bare wood and am about to start again, but without any balsaloc. You can imagine how I felt as all the decals and lettering were in place! 

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies. I am covering the airframe firstly with dope and tissue to get a good seal, then using doping nylon on top before painting. I have covered previous models using dope and Fighter Aces paint without any problems, this is why I suspect the Balsaloc as being the culprit, especially as the bubbling only occurred on the areas which had Balsaloc applied. 

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
When I covered the tail surfaces of the Warbirds Hurricane with sig koverall I initially used balsa loc to fix the fabric, then doped over it. The dope immediately started to 'eat' the balsa loc and the fabric started coming lose! so I doped it all on, sealed it with a few coats of 50/50 dope and it took the WBC paint no trouble.
I would suspect that the dope had done the initial damage, but you appeared to have got away with it until the fabric was wetted out again with the water based WBC paint, as that dried off it must have slightly shrunk the fabric and started to lift it from the dissolved balsa loc.
Really I'd say that balsa loc is only really suitable for putting on coverings that are water tight to start with......Lite span etc. then anything that is applied to the surface doesn't actually get to the sealed in balsa loc.

Walts.

Edited By Walts on 02/07/2009 17:17:43

Edited By Walts on 02/07/2009 17:18:46

• 5 months later...