Super Scorpion

The bad news is I ve got a bit hooked ojn E bay,the good news is Ive tonight bought 2 engines both suitable for the Super Scorpion.The first on is a Saito 40 and the second one is an Os 40 Surpasse.Ill check the timing of its currenrt engine which is the Os 40 surpasse against its twin then decide the best one to fit,.Because its open the Saito would look nice,watch this space for the latest update

I now have 3 engines courtesy of E bay suitable for the Super Scorpion.2 OS 40 4 stroke and 1 Saito 40.As the Scorpion had an OS 40 alreafy in it Ive chosen to stick with the OS.There was no choice,1 of the engines is as new so the Scorpion is now wearing its replacement unit proudly and it looks excellant,so in only needs the weather to calm down for a test flight

Yes Jim by 10 am the sun was shining and although there was a bit of wind the Scorpion had to very enjoyable flights and with a very good replacement engine fitted.Took off at below half throttle and pottered around nicely.Landed on deadsticks both times because Id used the fuel up bur I seem to make the best landings with the Scorpion on a deadstickVery happy

My Super Scorpion is quite old ,aliitle tatty but \i love it to bits and it flies very well.Although the U/C is bent and I cannot fully straighten it its no trouble taking off and with its new engine takes off in feet and at low throttle.I would never part with this model and would not retire it.  It looks as good in the air on slow passes and is admired by many at the club.So ,when I heard of one in good condition possibly coming up for sale I put my investigative hat on to try and locate it.IM now in that mode and the search is on to find the owner.It is complte but has no engine,I have the engine waiting but havent tracked the owner down yet but IM on the case.I want that model

Edited By Stephen Grigg on 18/11/2009 05:50:43

Hi gentlemen,

I have been away for the last 3 weeks due to a move of house. I still don't have internet access (thanks BT!). Just managed to catch up on work computer. Good luck with the new SS if it transpires.

Interesting Skystreak Jim. The jury is still out with me and electric though. The model looks like it should go balistic.

Conrad.

The Scorpion is now sporting a new tank,as I wasnot getting the flying time I wanted,or maybe I was enjoying myself so much time was FLYING passed,ho ho hoI found out someone else is interested in the other Scorpion so the plot  thickens and the search has become more urgent.Problem is I have to rely on other people who dont seem to realise how a Scorpion can be so importent

Conrad,

The Skystreak is amazing with this little magnetic thingy up front,got to make somemore of these and get them on Ebay ( Stephen will snap them up )

Stephen,

I have a Nice red Scorpion,do you think you could find you way to the Northeast to Ken Anderson land where everyone talks funny except me of course, bonny lad.

Jim

Nice to catch up on this thread, I only pop in occasionally and saw the title at the "latest posts" poster.
I'm a vintage freak, I built the super scorpion several years ago and it flies with an os 40 fs from 1983, lovely flier, one of my favourites.
I also have a couple of falcons, the one I had built has a laser 70, far too much power really but it runs for ever on a 6 ounce tank. I bought the other one rtf from a club mate in the midst of a divorce and it had a TT 91 4s in it, awful. I swapped that for a saito 62 and that's nuch better but still too powerful. A word of warning about the falcon,be very economical with rudder throw, they don't need much. Both mine exhibit the same reaction with rudder, put too much in and it's a bit hairy to get it back especially near the ground. As someone said there's a month's supply of solarbo in each wing and there's a lot of inertia.
I also have a southerner major with an os 52 fs in, a junior 60 with an os 26 fs in,  ablack magic ditto and a windy ain't it ditto.
I've gone over completely to giant cod 4 channel 2.4 (£25 for tx and rx, rxs are about £10 each) with a mixer on the rudder and aileron output so I can use the rudder stick to take off and the aileron stick when stooging round.
Of them all the southerner is my favourite but it badly needs covering again as 26 years are starting to show now.
I remember seeing a question about are they fine weather fliers, I flew mine at the hastings fly-in in October and they always seem to have a hurricane blowing.
As long as you can take off and land into the wind it's easy, if you have to take off and land (as at Hastings) crosswind, practice landing crosswind and as soon as the wheels touch wack in full rudder to get them pointing into the wind.
As long as the wind doesn't blow them around when sitting inert on the ground they'll be OK to fly, that's my opinion btw.

Edited By John Gibbs on 20/11/2009 22:19:13