Super Scorpion

To the flying field tonight,and the engine has magically lost compression.Sat evening my battery was low and only just managing to start the engine.On the 4th flight The moror could not turn the engine over,and the prop seemed to be in the wrong position to try a flick start so having had 3 good flights called it an evening.The front allen bolt is solid and I cannot findmy posh allen set anywhere,Im racking my brain to remember when I last used it IM sure it was here midweek on the sevos on the Seagull 40 bnut its nowhere to bee seen! 

Advert

Panic over took the spinner off and carefully checked the prop nuts and even though still tight and lock nutted the prop was noving tightened up compresion back.What through me was the way it wouldnt turnover and start for the last flight the other night and it fired out the exhaust tonight.May be the misfire did it,but turning the prop did have a resistance.Who am I kidding the prop was loose and thats great,ready to fly tomorrow.

Stephen, is that an OS40 FS & has it been running on castor based fuel ?
If so they are prone to gumming up the pushrods in the tubes which can prevent one of the valves fully closing thus losing compression, at least temporarily. It's also worth checking the valve/tappet clearances occasionally as the gap increases with use & causes a gradual reduction in power output.

Thanks PatMc Yes you are right the engine has been run previusly on castor.It actually performs very well and I was hoping to remove the rocker box tonight and check the top end when I found the loose prop.I could not undo the front allen bolt,so Ive been looking for  a quality set of allen keys Ihave but have misplaced the set.Ill look at work tomorrow but at present comprssion is restored

Im not really one for Vintage, but I like this one . Ones which acctually look a little like a real plane, not a caractature of one, I quite like. I like the looks of Jims Mercury 3 and the Ben Buckle Southerner 60.

I've got me a vintage model right here which needs to be restored, problem is, I have no idea what it is. Maybe I should start a new thread .

Arranged to meet some club member friends at the field this evening.Bit dull and rainy as I drove there but I never break a promise even if it means not flying.No one turned up.I had a little walk as they have started cutting the rape seed we fly over.theyd cut around the edge.Just had a quick walk around just in case I saw a hint of a lost model.When I returned I had one very satisfactory flight with the Scorpion ,no wind ,and the engine sounds fine.For the moment engine panic over

After work today(finish 4 pm on a Sunday) down to the field.Normally by the time I get there everyone has gone.Packed, couldnt believe it.Apparently been manic all day,and windy in an akward way.Chatted to a few people,then out came Super Scorpion.By now everyone else has left.The plan is couple of flights,then 1st take off of Seagull40.During the first flight a couple of hot air balloons come floating over,followed by a couple more, and more.For the next hour various balloons come over.I continue to have flights with the Scorpion,the conditions are perfect,and I enjoy my evening so much,plans of the Seagull have gone,Perfect end to a week

Here are the pic's. The model is halfway through restoration. Im yet to do anything to the wings, but have been concentrating on the fuselage and the empennage. There is suprisingly little dihederal for a vintage rudder/elevator model. A little info of the model first:
 - Wingspan: 60"
 - Engine size: 25 2st
 - 3 Channels
Well, thats about all I know! I would like to know the C/G position and the target A.U.W.

Click to make the pics bigger.

Thanks, Ben

Ben
I would start your CG for the first flight at the main spar undernneath the wing,- Looking at it I would say that is nearly 25 % of the chord back from the leading edge being as it is parallel chord . You can later move it back a tad eg  30 % after you've tried it out .But on the other hand What do I know ?

• 2 weeks later...
Once again the Super Scorpion saved the day.After a very enjoyable flight I started my approach to land.When ID judged it was safe to land and Id managed to bring her in at a low enough level I shouted "LANDING" I came on to th strip at 6 feet and descending nicely.The Chairman of the club walked onto the strip looking the wrong way.I shouted "LANDING" as he walked straight into the path of the Scorpion.Landing aborted plenty of throttle and elevator and it sailed over his petrified being eager for another slow forray,not to be out of fuel,dead stick,nice gentle landing in thr long stuff.

This evening is what this flying hobby is all about.To the field after work,No wind and lovely sunshine.3 flights with the Seagull40,followed by 3 relaxing flights sitting in a chair poodling round with the Super Scorpion.With the setting sun Glinting on the fuselage it would have made a great Photo.The camera was there and I did think about it but the Scorpion is to precious to risk it

So, heres one I took earlier

Hi Stephen,
here is my completed Super Scorpion with my 6 year old son to give scale. He has expressed an interest in RC flying and this will be a good model for him on the buddy lead (if we get any appropriate weather again!) 

I love the elliptical wings and the very light open structure.

Sorry about the camera strap in the photo. It was windy today and the model wanted to fly even without covering. Incidently, the covering will be antique solartex with red solarfilm trim to a similar pattern to yours. Power is from an OS 40 FS.

Enjoying the thread and thanks for the support earlier in the thread.

Cheers,

Conrad.

Youll love this model Conrad,your build is coming along very well and is looking excellant.As you probably know the model was originally designed by a Canadian Spitfire pilot in 1942,When you fly the model you will notice the wings look similar to a Spifire"s.Its also interesting that the guy"s memory lives on in the model he designed.At Middle Wallop I was shown an FF Scorpion and was surprised how small they are in comparison to a Super,there is very little wind here, Im off to the field.

Hi Stephen,

Shame about the wind. Over here in Whitby it is blowing a gale! I am really excited about flying this model- sedate flying with this model will be just the ticket. I believe the guy (Gordon Murray I think) who designed this won the VC and was killed in Malta in 1943. He must have been a real fan of the Spitfire to design a model with the elliptical wings.

I'll post photos of the finished model and then hope for an Indian Summer.

Conrad.

Stephen,

I was up in the loft a few days ago and found the plans for the Scopion ( must be over 20 yrs. old ) so all in the space of a day the major parts --wing ribs and fuz parts are all ready for go. And its all your fault.......

Looking at Conrads model i'm inclined to make the U/C with  a wider track,may give a little bit better ground handling.

I'll keep you posted.

Jim