Super Scorpion

Advert

After a couple of weeks electric it was lovely to fly the Scorpion with its old 4 stroke IC gemma really nostalgic.I had 2 really good flights the wind was up a bit,but I had to superb landingsand although I would like to have flown again felt It was wiser to stop,but as you say the photos were theon the cake

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 14/07/2009 20:47:24:
There is something wrong with this hobby.If you want to buy a vintage car it costs loads a money.I bought a vintage plane this one really cheap and its admired by everyone who sees it Its a joy to fly and has character by the bucketfull

I know the feeling!

In a club full of ARTF's, the arrival of a built-up model can cause quite a stir.

tim

Stephen,
I had  a Super scorpion around 20 yrs. ago with an old OS30 up front and it was great on a calm nite just floating around,there's something about that eliptical wing
I have always enjoyed the vintage side of our hobby having built a KK falcon,Frankenstein and this is my latest build.    Mercury 3
Your thread has created a lot of interest,methinks we should start  a vintage section an put Kenny Anderson in charge (he's vintage )
Jimbo

here she is - in all her glory - she's been round the block a few time's like stephen's car's and close up look's a bit 'weathered' like jim...but she's worth her weight in gold (like me).......................'sssss

designed in 1946-4 oz tank- at least 20-25 min's flying on high tickover...all thank's to a lad called 'albert hatfull'.........god bless......

ken anderson........

yo stephen and jim-thank's for  the kind word's--the silencer is still newish as this is her second engine..when i make the joint's i coat the thread's with clear silicone and then nip them up..............try to avoid any leak's that will throw oil etc all over.......she is now in semi retirement as well....i dont fly her that much now.......i see you can buy artf one now as well...i think it would be ideal for electric as the one you see here has at least 7oz of lead in her 'beak'.........................

ken anderson....chairman BVRMC..................                                

Hoe did you get that swearing passed the moderators,that word "electric " with Junior 60.IM sorry but I dont think that sort of language is suitable for a Vintage Chairman.What motor do you recommend,Itll need a sound system,I reckon a "Merlin " would siut great idea Ken,Im shopping now

Hi Stephen,

Looking at your OS 40 intsallation, I was wondering if your engine has a touch of right thrust or am I imagining it? Would it be necessary on a model with this set up? Sorry for all the questions. I will also be using an OS40 Surpass by the way.

Cheers,

Conrad.

Hi Conrad,not sure, it takes off like a scolded cat,its on 11x7 wooden prop.No thrust obvious on take off.Ill photo the prop top and side for you.If Its got any its in the build,because Im not sure how you could adjust with this mount afterwards.I would imagine it was more important on these original free flight jobies because you couldnt steer when you let go,your engine the same as I have.