Super Scorpion

Advert

Wow Tim,I feel a Super Scorpion Club moment coming on.I have to say Ive telephoned Neville at Andover twice to thank him for the model because its given me so much pleasure in such a short time  for so little money.I have asked him if he could disceetly enquire as to its history as the previous owner has passed away.Id like to know more about the model

Changed the prop to an 11x6 wooden.On take off the first time dead stick,just glided to a halt.2nd take off another dead stick ,gave myself lots more room and glided it down safely.3rd take off fine and poodled around in a very relaxing way.Landed ,refueled and took off, could hear a strange rattle so landed again.The engine is fitted on a plate,and had come loose from it.Removed the engine tightened the nuts up refitted to model and all was fine.lovely relaxing evening

Thanks Gemma in the few days weve been together we ve done quite a lot,but I put her up in the wind yesterday and it did put the wind up me.I didnt give full throttle because it just hasnt seemed necessary but I thin on this occasion it was.But the rapid way it rises without to much elevator meant although struggling a bit enginewise it still rose to the occasion.The landing wasnt as tricky as I expected but as it landed the wind did catch it so we had a quick jump for joy at the end.I think in future Ill only fly when the wind is gentle.

Further investigation leaves me thinking a repair is possiblerather than a complete wing rebuild.The middlle of the left wing has disintigrated,but its left the out.er edge fairly unscathed.I havent stripped the right wing yet because although initially it looked the more damaged,I dont think it is.Its all looking promising to me

After a nice evening flying electric at the field,the covering of the wing went extrmely well.I was a bit tight on the covering but it worked out OK.Painted the pattern on and tomorrow Ill Fuel proof before i get off to work>Needto find somewhere I can get the letters to write the name on the wing again

On the way to work called in at aplace called  Signrite .Told them I needed 3 inch black letters and it was no problem for them..The guy printed Super Scorpion onto a computer,then showed me variuos styles.He then showed me the fuul size transferred to another computer ,pressed a button and a machine printed it off.Seemed to throw away more than I needed.Showed me how to transfer onto the wing,so should finish it tonight.Looking forward to seeing how it comes out

There is something about buying an old vintage model.It has an aura about it that new models dont have.Everyone at the club admires it and I hope my repair to the wing does it justice.Im happy with what Ive done and if it flys the same That will be enough for me I could do with Black rubber bands really

Edited By Stephen Grigg on 08/07/2009 10:12:49

Looks like a superb job on that wing to me Stephen. You know I've toyed with the idea of I/C and asked which would make a good first model... hmmmm I'm getting tempted by the Super Scorpion, I think it really is one of the most delightful looking models I've ever seen.