Super Scorpion

Took the Super Scorpion to the field today for the first time this year.2 good high relaxing flights,timing them so I can set the timer.About 15 minutes with  plenty of fuel left.The 3rd flight was toush and goes which was going well until on a turn the wind which was very light caught the model and it touchdown a bit akwardly and spun round.No problem until I removed the wings to find the fuz has collapsed.Cant believe it,loads of strips of wood almost undamaged have fallen off.The repair doesnt look horrendous,its almost as if the glue used wasnt very good.Ill probably remove the engine and put it into SS Mk 1.Although older its built differently and more substantially un.til this one is glued back together

Advert

Spent the evening getting my original Super Scorpion ready for flight.Id already fitted a bigger tank.All that was needed was fit the OS 40 4 stroke surpasse.modify the throttle,and Ive also changed the wheels.the battery still had a good chargs so after fitting the receiver and checking everything was working OK ive left it on charge overnight for the weekend

The Super scorpion has come into its own once more.With problems at the patch with a load of gypsy horses  today it felt safer leaving the electric fence up.With the take of and landing ability of the S.S  I had a good day flying in windy conditions,but was able to miss the offending fence with  ease

• 5 months later...
The horses have gone but the Super Scorpion has been revived.I have recently received and older Saito 40 back from a rebuild,a problem occurred getting the front bearing.Ive fitted said engine into the SS.It weighs 100 grams more then the OS 40 I removed.The battery is on charge,we see what wind is about for the weekend.

Having removed the lhe engineand checked everything  thoroughly but havent found a problem.The engine mounting plate had come loose because the right engine bearer was pretyy rotten,so Ive replaced it.Ive also replaced the tank and fuel lines also,so its ready for another go.Ill probablyrun it up at home first if possible but the field is only 10 minutes awayif not.

I still havent been ableto get the Saito 40 to run  satifactorily.so  Ive replaced it with an OS 40 Surpasse 4 st. This one is runing fine but by the time Id spent the day playing with engines,it was to late to go flying.I prefer to do this at home.One neighbour thought I was mowing the lawn,I did reply it was for doing akward corners.

• 1 year later...
Over a year since I last posted .Swopped everything from my Black/Beige to my Red/beige with repaired fuselage.Noise test at a low 74db ,but was unfliable needing full right rudder.On inspection the wing had warped.Only needs a couple of minutes with the hot gun and should be ready.Ill take a spare wing next time just in case

Hi all,seeing all these S/S in prime condition, and exellent coverings, or paint jobs made me wonder. I have one about 20 +years old that is a fantastic flier ( as all of them are).It is in its original orange and yellow livery, and not looking to bad for its age. Should I leave it as it is with character, and vintage looking, or strip her down for a refit of Solartex, and join the ranks of the "lovely people".. Mind you perhaps my skills would not provide the finish as per the models in the pictures. What do you think Stephen, now is the time for a decision. Cheers.

I always like to leave them as they are,I think they look better in original state than jazzed up.Maybe Im lazy the only reason Ive changed over is the Black one is beginning to rot at the engine bay and i love it so much I bought the Red one on E Bay for £60.I may change the colour to Black because of course I have the wings and one only need to change the fuselage at the front

H i Stephen, I agree. I also agree with the statement about its flying capabilities. After i had learned to take off with less throttle than most, she is beautifull in the air. She also creates lots of interest from all fliers at the patch. Roll on those warm windless summer evenings. Cheers and thanks.

You are lucky lad Stephen. Due to restrictions on our patch we cannot fly until 5 PM. So as its dark at 4.00 PM in winter our flying is confined to w/e's only . And guess what the weather is on w/e's ,normally pathetic. I agree, there is something special about the S/S in the air, it also rubs off on other onlooking members too. Will send a pic soon. Cheers