I'm in need of a small park flyer, Which do you suggest?

Right, Ill reply first:

Timbo, Had looked at Flyingwings, but 1) The wing span on the models are all little bit big, and 2) those vertical fins are pretty much guarunteed to get broken at the bottom of the bag

Steve, As Johnathan said!

Phil, turns out I won't need that mixer, but I thank you for the offer.

So, I've come down to my final decision making:
 - A streetfighter from Robotbirds
 - Buy myself some EPP and make a model just right for my specifications.

Time to think me thinks!

Not everyone likes noisy, potentially dangerous, flying objects Myron...and if they own the land then surely they are entitled to have it used in the way they wish - as you would if you owned it.
They may not necessarily wear suits either - whatever that stereotyping image is meant to mean.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 21/06/2009 16:21:24

Timbo
Please understand -You're quite right - It's just that I can't stand & never could stand authority that I have always associated with a "suit "'Don't ask me why ! I used to wear one every day in my early days
Do I get the feeling you don't like me ?.
If so tell me why   I like to try and get on with everybody (hence the solo career as a musician/entertainer) /& regular contributor on our forum   If I'm out of order you can always delete me from this forum . I don't want to upset anybody & I'm sure they'd tell me if I did ! On the contrary I have received over a thousand views on my thread trying to guide peeps whether or not to buy a certain brand of module & Rx system that might help them to get value for money ! I have not slagged off the distributer ( known to us all ) on the contrary I appreciate his help.

Myron... how can you of all people suggest that maybe I do not like you! Is it not true that I spent a considerable time and effort to help you in your early leccy flight days...including telephone calls and PMs
As a moderator of this forum, I have a duty to try and present a balanced view of things when certain comments or views are expressed, which I strive to do - and I am expressing that POV regarding your comments about "suits" and a persons right to do as they please on their property. Surely you must know that I enjoy aeromodelling and all its associated "nuisances" but also realise that as reponsible adults we must also appreciate that many people do not. Ben was not complaining as such about the inability to use the land, merely expalining why the travelling to other areas was not feasible, so why should anyone else complain about the policy of the landowner?
You are not upsetting anyone Myron... and indeed you particualr brand of humour has been a long standing feature of the forum since its early days, and no-one is even thinking about "deleting you" from the forum!
As for the 1000+ views on the long running soap that is " myron and cheapy 2.4Ghz stuff" I have a view on that, and have already expressed it on that thread. 

Posted by Ben Mullins on 21/06/2009 13:23:38:

Time to think me thinks!

Ever designed a model before, Ben. a lot of work involved and 9 times out of 10 if you don't know exactly what you're doing it won't fly as well as a professionally designed model. A case in point: I designed a shock flyer style model for indoor that looked exactly like all the others aesthetically, but it didn't have enough wing area so was a bit quick. also it was terrible inverted -  a problem i've only partially solved.

Another thing, you'll need to find your own accesories (horns etc) that won't come with a kit which is sometimes a bit of a pain. Then you'll want to decorate it for which you'll need an airbrush to get anywhere near to the kit finish. Hand painting is never as good. Do yourself a favour and get a streetfighter

No one can dislike Myron!

And timbo, well done, we wouldn't want this forum turning biased now would we!

Johathan, You've answered my Questions 3 times in a row, I believe a thank you is in order! You've knocked sense into me and ill purchase a streetfighter as soon as I have the money!

Thanks for all help on this thread, Ill prob make a build blog of my chosen streetfighter.

Ben

Hey well done to you also Ben, the amount of effort you have put in to work out the right model is impressive. Best of luck with your chosen model and looking forward to the blog.

BTW, it's true designing models, nightmare, I counted up the hours on the BV 138 so far, over 300 hours of CAD, and guess what I've not even got close to looking at the numbers yet to make it a working model. It isn't an easy option!

Edited By Gemma Fairchild on 21/06/2009 21:22:55

"When you have the money!" Last i checked they were about £30: just how broke are you Ben?  Rhetorical question really, as a young flier myself, my budget is also limited.

Good idea to start the blog, you'll be able to quiz timbo on the powertrain.

ps i'm a '190 man but the Zero, La-5 and both P-51 racers look the best to me.

I have a streetfighter from robot birds- using the suggested motor/prop set up.
Very quick and lively - possibly to quick for the park , its normally used for club pilon etc.
Try a slowfly - that way you have slow rolls , close in flight  and at only 7oz all up you aint
going to damage anyone/thing.

Posted by Jonathan Lewzey on 21/06/2009 20:03:09:

Time to think me thinks!

Ever designed a model before, Ben. a lot of work involved and 9 times out of 10 if you don't know exactly what you're doing it won't fly as well as a professionally designed model. A case in point: I designed a shock flyer style model for indoor that looked exactly like all the others aesthetically, but it didn't have enough wing area so was a bit quick. also it was terrible inverted -  a problem i've only partially solved.

Another thing, you'll need to find your own accesories (horns etc) that won't come with a kit which is sometimes a bit of a pain. Then you'll want to decorate it for which you'll need an airbrush to get anywhere near to the kit finish. Hand painting is never as good. Do yourself a favour and get a streetfighter
    The yakk is a superb model with an auw of 6-7oz and flies with no vices at all..
    Rolls superb- Inverted - you name it - it does the book and all for a (model) price
    including horns etc of £ 15.00

Posted by Jonathan Lewzey on 21/06/2009 20:03:09:

Time to think me thinks!

The yakk is a superb model with an auw of 6-7oz and flies with no vices at all..
    Rolls superb- Inverted - you name it - it does the book and all for a (model) price
    including horns etc of £ 15.00
        The street fighter range sound good but the kits are poorly painted and fluffy epp
       which is inferior to most epp models.. Check out the sdparklyers web site- no
      air brush there to get a superb finnish using acrylic paints- my streetfighter was
      poor with a capital P.

Well steve, as has allready been said, 3D models ARE NOT suitable for my purpose.

I don't particually mind it looking good or poor, if it gets on my nerves I know how to use a paint brush . The plane is just meant to be a chuck around model small enough for my bag and small enough for the park. Thanks for your information anyway!

Posted by Ben Mullins on 22/06/2009 17:48:37:
Well steve, as has allready been said, 3D models ARE NOT suitable for my purpose.

I don't particually mind it looking good or poor, if it gets on my nerves I know how to use a paint brush . The plane is just meant to be a chuck around model small enough for my bag and small enough for the park. Thanks for your information anyway!

Ok enough said good luck !

Damn!

After all this work the council have said no . Can't fly where I want too. On the upside, my parents have said that they can take me to the field during the week occasionally. So im no longer in need of a small parkflyer. Hope this thread helps someone find a nice model.

Ben