I'm in need of a small park flyer, Which do you suggest?

Hi All,

I've had enough of only being able to fly every Sunday, so want a parkflyer to fly when ever. Here are my Criteria:
 - Cheap, below £30 preferably.
 - Aerobatic, or something that can be flown in quite a small space
 - Can handle more than Still weather.
 - Not majorly expensive to power etc.
 - Detachable wings would be a MASSIVE bonus.
 - Would be very good if it could fit in a trekking/festival bag
 - ARTF is what I want
 - Doesn't have to fly indoors

Just so you know, GWS Warbirds take up a bit too much airspace. Remember, It can't take up to much space in the air.

Hope to be joining those early morning flyers soon!

Thanks Alot, Ben.

Get a shockie or profile aerobat. They're aerobatic and you can fly just about anywhere due to their really good agility. The flash has a good reputation if you can spend £25 more or the fancyfoam Sukhoi. Most shockies have speed brakes nowadays which are only really useful for indoor slow flight, but you could omit these or try a JazzClik V1.0 (great flying plane, no speed brakes) or Gernot bruckman Yak 
There's so much to be learned on a foamie aerobat you don't care about crashing so give one a go.

get a GWS SlowStick and fit a brushless motor.
Most fun for your little money. Takes up no space when the wings are off so can be stored in the car easily. takes of in about 1 foot and go's vertical, or throttle back and it just floats around all day.

Darryl

One thing Ben before you splash out, do you really need as much space as you think you do for your current models?

- Can handle more than Still weather. - no very small model is going to do that is it!

I fly a lot of electric foamies and I use to fly them pretty fast most of the time as it seemed the safe thing to do. In the last few months though I've been doing a lot of slow flight practice and I'm amazed how small the space I can safely fly them in. The whole of the 'A' test routine can be flown without leaving the boundary of the small field my strip is based in. OK no loops or rolls but if it is just getting more stick time there is nothing wrong with circuits , eights and deadstick practice.

Just a thought, as if you are use to flying faster which seems the natural thing to do you might find throttling back and gettting use to slow handling will vastly reduce the amount of space you feel is safe to fly in. You might need to do this for a while a couple of mistakes high at a larger site, but with practice I bet you can fly them in the local park.

Wow! Thanks for all your responses. Seems like I've been missing out on not flying in the park

Oliver - Sure does look nice, read the review in the mag. Shame is the price & the fact that Im not on 2.4GHz.

Fog Dart - Really great link, ill have to spend some time looking at all the many possibilites

Pete - I had seen that Chipmunk, unfortunatley a wee bit to big for my trekking bag!

David - That stuff looks interesting, also know that its going to be good quality from flying wings. Unfortunatley, can't be having a flying wing, as I plan to fly the model on a parkzone ZX10 TX system, which got 'dontated' to me. Doesn't have elevon mixing, but does have Dual Rates, thank god! I wanna use this TX as its powered by AA batteries, so doesn't require charging. A pick up and go system.

Johnathan - Had heard of the Flash, which took me onto the rest of that website. Unfortunately just a little bit too expensive for me.

Djay - Looks nice, but with that 44" wingspan is a bit big for me.

Ken - I've had my experience with GWS models. First a Mustang, which got nosed into the ground by my instructor! I've forgiven him, i did break one of his models after all . Maybe it was revenge! Anyway, I now have a GWS Harvard, which is IMO a little too big (38")

Bryce -  My eye has been drwan to those Profile models from GC quite a few times because of the price! Wondered if anyone had any experience with them. Make sure you get back to us with how it flies. Especially if it can cope with a breeze

Big Bandit/Chris - There are two formosas up the patch, I know they are very capable, as well have a cheap airframe and cost almost nothing to electrify up! They are a bit on the larger side of things though

Gemma - Ill have to see how tight a space I can get my Harvard to fly in, would like to be able to do some prop hanging though . Regarding wind, its a good point! I have however noticed that at around 8:30PM the wind dies down to almost nothing. Is there such a thing as the Sunset flying club?!

Hope i've replied to everyone. I really do apprietiate all your replies. Please bare in mind I want to get AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE because of my rather restricing Teenage budget. I know Ken won't approve, but, well, I suppose all I can say is Young 'uns these days! . (No offence intended)

Thanks again, and lets hope this posts!

Had a look at the GC cap232 just now and looks ok if not a tad crude in places. The only thing structurally though is the lack of any diagonal reinforcing pieces on the fuselage. (Take a look at the Jazz and Clik and you'll see what i mean). Might be worth shelling out that little bit more for a properly designed model from a respected manufacturer (Ikarus, RC Factory etc) that you can trust. It will make your job as pilot easier too as you won't have to fight the model so much and will end up crashing less! Remember, crashing costs money so its worth investing on a product initally. you might even be able to get an original shock flyer kit if you shop around.

Unfortunately parkzone tx's and 3D aerobatics/large control surfaces just don't mix. Either get something with smaller surfaces and don't fly 3D or fly a 3D model on a proper tx with expo at least. You'll want at least 40% expo on all surfaces for most 3D models unless you want to really scare yourself with an over sensitive model. You don't have a spare memory on a computer tx do you?

Hi John, RE structural strength. Its a good point.
Also, I can see how no expo isn't going to help, maybe a pylon racer or some thing would be a better idea. I have to say, I hadn't thought of that, well done! I do have a couple of spare memories on my TX, but I wanted to use the Parkzone TX as a grab and go kinda thing. You know how it is, you see theres no wind and you just have to go fly!

So, The criteria has changed!
 - Not 3D
 - Doesn't require Elevon mixing
 - Must have detachable wings, or at least scope to do so.

So far, after a quick look over the links, here are the contesters:
 - Streetfighter/racer series from Robotbirds
 - Small Jet style things from GBD models (Fog Darts link)
 - The foray of models from GAD
 - See how small a space my Harvard can fly in

So, are there anymore suggestions? Anymore holes to pick in my plans?

Thanks, Ben

Wattage Hawk.

Small wingspan, goes like the clappers if you open the throttle, but being a motorised glider (hotliner) also will float around.
Useing  the standard gear will give you brilliant small field performance, but upgrade to a brushless for unlimited vertical, still in a small field.
I have one that is at least 10 years old now and still going strong on the original motor and gear.
Small, light, cheap, takes budget radio / motor/ esc/ batteries.
Good small field performance, can thermal or do aerobatics,

Darryl

Hi again,

Phil, thanks for the offer! I may well take you up on that offer if I  find anything nice which requires elevons.

Djay, It looks quite nice, can't find anywhere in the U.K. that seel it though.

John, Yet another good point!

So here are the models now:
 - Robotbird streetfighters

Urm, thats it! Anyone got a suggestion for a flying wing with w/span <30"? I would like it to use a Emax CF2822 (low Kv) and 3S 1300 mAh lipos 'cos thats what i've got spare. Remember, CHEAP! 

Posted by steve cotterell on 18/06/2009 17:39:15:

Try a sd parkflyer- epp yakk
3 cheap servos - bell motor -micro esc-and a lipo the best fun you have with your clothes on..
http://www.sdparkflyers.com  Follow the revolution in shockies

Trouble is it has 3D control surfaces which have already been discussed in relation to the transmitter ben is planning to use.