Baby Birdee

I did my usual - saw on EBay a model I remember from the dim and hazy days of drooling over mags (flying models not the Nuts type!) the "Baby Birdee". Looked a nice project and dirt cheap! Suitable for a leccy job thinks I! Whoops, no plans with it, parts missing etc. Box picture looks nice, kind of jet like! Anyone got a plan, or direct experience? Was there ever a grown up "Birdee"? I seem to remember a "Dirty Birdee" but maybee that was in a Nuts type mag!!

Advert

Phil
The 1977 Aeromodeller Annual has a small 3 view of the Sureflite Baby Birdy - don't know if this is tha same model. Span approx 36" for a Cox 049/051. It was very much a miniature version of the general trend of USA 'pattern ships' of the day, but was only 2 channel - aileron/elevator. The 3 view doesn't show structural detail, noe does it show the CG position.

I'll try an insert an image
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\2007-06-18\birdy copy.png

Mike

The Global Kits Birdie was a old style pattern ship, available in a number of sizes. My favourite model- the Birdie 10 - was sadly lost in the River Mersey a few years ago and was a 48" span version for a .10-.15cu in engine. Mine was electrified with Mega 16/25-4 and 8xCP1300s.

My pal has the 1/2A Baby Birdie, which was suitable for an .049 engine and his is fitted out with a Graupner 480 Race, 5x5 Speed prop and flies with 8x700AR NiCd - quick, aerobatic, but with short flight duration.

Pictures on this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4989148&highlight=birdie#post4989148

Mike,
Thanks - looks just like the bits i've got so far. I guess that if the B.B is a scaled down version of a well established design, various suppliers would have jumped on the bandwagon! Got to admit it is a mighty handsome plane! Difficult to believe people were flying r/c on engines as small as 049. My biggest engine in the 70's was a K&B Stallion 35 (C/L stunt motor), cost £5, no throttle, no silencer and seemed huge and fearsome. It powered a Mercury Crusader! Now we reckon 40 - 60 is about average. Times change, but do we enjoy the hobby more? (Thought for the day).
Phil

Hi fellers, I used to fly a bit and was thinking about getting back into it. So I came across this site, and lo and behold, this thread. The last plane I built was a global 'birdie 10' and for a variety of reasons it's been languishing in my cupboard un-flown for at fully 10 years.

It's got an OS FP15 in it IIRC and radio gear, although I'd quite like to keep the servos and Rx. If you're interested then I could see if I can dig out the box (with plans) or even the whole airframe. If you'd like to borrow the plans or are interested in the airframe then drop me a line at:

tertl AT dslabs DOT com

I'd be up for trades as I'd quite like to get into electric flight (need a trainer after this long).

Hi Toni

Like Danny said I;ve been looking for Birdie .10 plans for ages.

Mine was a bit underpowered with an OS.10FP, so needed careful energy management in the aerobatics, but it was a lovely honest neutral model to fly and the 15FP would be just about perfect for the model.

I've dropped you an email.
cheers

Leccy