Hanger 9 P-40 Warhawk

Kelly

This thing in my opinion is a total waste of time and money
It looks good and flies well,that about it for the  good bits

List of bad things.

Top is the U/C not up tp the job at all (see my blog) caused a crash on take off yesterday.

Firewall broke away after a quite un-dramatic crash on take off causing damage to the cowl.

The covering and decals have persisted in their need to peel off the model.

I have taken a lot of time and care to put this model together ,only to be let down by rubbish U/C and a poor quality fire wall.

I took such a dislike to the dam thing that after kicking it at the flying field I removed all the radio and engine  and smashed the rest..
I will not be purchasing a H9 model again .

The P-40 has been discontinued by H-9 ,I wonder why 

Very fed up indeed

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 03/07/2009 18:09:34

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
Now I have calmed down a bit  my last thoughts on the P-40

1/  You need a smooth surfaced flying site to fly from , if not do not bother with the P-40.

2/ The fire wall is pants, reinforce well with glass fibre.

3/  You must go over every inch of the model with a heat gun/iron the covering not stuck down properly in many places.

4/  Beef up the wheel wells and paint / fuel proof well.

It is a good looking model and it flys well. The U/C ruins a good model

Shame, was a nice looking model.
As regards the firewall, i have had this on an artf Giles 202 (may have been a pheonix but not sure). In my case a dodgy take-off resulted in a cart-wheel. The weakest links being the plastic wing bolts (sheered) and firewall coming unstuck.

This resulted in little damage to the rest of the airframe and easily repaired. Whilst repairing the firewall i too fibreglassed the the forward fus. (something my father does to most of his models to this day....goes back to the time when the radio gear was v.precious --£100 + in the 1970's--and most only had one set.)   Personally thought the outcome ok considering the impact.

As regards the retracts, as on the other thread, i installed the h9 twist and turns on my kyosho p40 and not had any bother in a couple of yrs of grass field flying. There is now a little more "slop" in the mechanism than when new but still performing v. well. Can only assume the rather smaller and lighter kyosho version is rather more suited to them.

Hi Ian

I think I have placed too much trust in the quality of so called ARTF kits?
I used to fly R/C in the 1970's, in those days I had the time to build from plans and kits.

I am now employing my building experience from the past  to improve all my new ARTF's.

Returning to the H9 retracts,it was the link attached to the ball joints which turned the U/C through 90 degrees that kept popping off during take-off. otherwise the retracts coped well with my rough flying site. 

Like the kyosho p40 very much, I am tempted 

Kelvin

• 3 weeks later...
I have had one of these for at least 9 months now, powered by an RCV 91, and have flown it to death, with not a single problem. Must of had over 3 gallons through it.
Constructuion and assembly is superb, and it flies like it is on rails.
 Undercarriage is well up to the job and survives any type of landing, just adjust it as per the manual and you will have no problems with it.
The covering shows no signs of lifting and the model never gets cleaned down, and is flown in 40+c heat.

Would definetly recommend this model to anyone.
ps. it is still flying, with not one problem.

Darryl

Hi Darryl,

I must have got one that slipped through the quality control .

The U/C was set up as per the instructions,it failed on take off not on  landing, the ball link had popped off(again) allowing the leg to rotate.
It ground looped ripping the fire wall out.

If you read my blog ,when running the engine in,  theU/C snapped and had to be replaced FOC  ,poor quality metal to blame.

It is a shame,it is as you say a very good flyer and I hope it continues to be so for you  

I always try to read up on a model I want to purchase . The P-40 has a mixed following, some like yourself seem to have no problems,others like me do.

I am a born again modeller ,building and flying R/C aircraft long before the introduction of the so called ARTF( see my profile)   I am no beginner when it comes to building a model.

Cheers

Kelvin

• 4 weeks later...
It sounds like Kelvins H9 P40 was a Friday afternoon job!!  I have been flying mine now for over 18 months now and it is absolutely superb; I even won a flying only scale competition with it.    The u/c is a little wobbly but it has flown on all surfaces, even of the  Old Warden strip, which is not the best for such an u/c.  The structure is still sound after many hours flying.  In fact it is getting to look a little tatty now so I am planning a recover this winter and adding split flaps as it is a slippery model with a high approach speed.  Powered by an ASP 91 which never misses a beat.  
After the success of the P40 I decided to get the 80" P51D.  Wow what an aircraft!  Powered by an MVVS 26 petrol, it is superb.  Again no build quality issues.  I did change the wires and links though as they looked a little to cheap and cheerful.  I have a number of friends who have ARTF and the best quality we have found so far is Hangar 9.  No I don't work for them or have shares in them!!

Hi Ian

Glad to see your P-40 is a good one, they do fly well .

I think you are right, I got a duff one .  It seems to be the P-40 and the H9 Spitfire ( firewall) most people have problems with .

Looking at other forums a lot of people have problems like myself with the P-40 so it seems the P-40 is very much a hit or miss  model when it comes to quality.

Hanger 9 are quite expensive to take a gamble on, Timbo's Sopwith Camel for example.

I will have to see a big drop in complaints against H9 before I will ever consider purchasing another.

Cheers

Kelvin