Unexpected unbinding of models

grizz

I have suffered an uexpected unbinding of my plane from Spectrum 7,despite the servo/rx battery being fully charged.Anyone else suffered an unbinding on start up and before flying.The servos are standard Spectrum digitals with the standard 7 channel Spectrum rx.I had full control on start-up ,then the unbinding occurred.The battery is a brand new JR 2100 mah 4.6v ni mh. fully charged.

Advert

Yes this happend to me as well but at the time I was only testing a new model on the deck  and it hasnt got airborne yet. (and isnt likely to tilI l am happy this was just a one off).
But its not supposed to happen is it? The only thing I can think of is a "brown out" ?
I rebound and its been fine since but only on the bench. Be interested to hear other views on this. I am also considering running all my spektrum gear on 6V receiver batt with a regulator to avoid damage to my JR servos but many people tell me that 6v wont harm them?  Nick

Grizz...you have cross posted this - and I as well as others, have already taken the trouble to respond on the other one.
I repeat here what I said over there, and despite the response you gave, I am sticking to this as my conclusion.
From the other thread which is ( HERE )

It is impossible for a Spektrum Rx to Unbind itself from the Tx - this action can only be done by deliberate action by the user with a bind plug inserted to Rx bind socket and Tx bind button held down..
What probably happened is that the Rx failed to recognize the TX signal after switch on, which is not the same as being unbound.
The correct and safe way to perform this is...
1) Switch on TX and WAIT at least 10 -15 seconds for it to acquire 2 free channels.
2) Switch on Rx, ( not too close to model ) and waggle the sticks to confirm radio link.
3) Go fly.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 03/07/2009 23:40:42

• 4 months later...
Hi Timbo,

I've just come back from flying in Florida where the subject of unbinding was a hot topic.

The case in question it seems that one of the servos failed (not sure why) and the upshot was that all the pins shorted. Now shorting pins 1 and 3 is how you put a Spektrum receiver into bind mode etc. Of course as soon as you put the RX into bind mode all previous binds are lost ...

I'm not suggesting that's what happened in Grizz's case but it is a scenario where an unscheduled unbind can take place .

Les

Hello Les and welcome back to windy wet and cold Blighty
Thats not quite right my friend. The Rx woill only go into bind mode when shorting out pins 1 and 3 of the battery socket. 1 and 3 being battery ground (-ve ) and signal
Now of course, "signal" on the battery port is not a signal pin at all, and is connected internally to the circuit board in order to activate bind mode when shorted across with the bind jumper plug. Therefore, as can be seen, even a short circuit on a servo will NOT create the necessary connection for bind mode, as pin 3 of the battery /bind port is NOT connected to any other port pins...its sole function is for binding. Pin 3 of all other servo sockets is signal, and these are not linked internally, and certainly not to the batt bind port pin 3.