Soldering iron

ericrw

I'm wanting to buy a Soldering Iron.  What is the best wattage to go for in relation to aircraft modelling ?   Also do members have any thoughts on which type to go for  i.e   Draper electronic type Gun or the standard shaft with tips type ?  Eric.

Advert

I agree wattage wise it depends what you are doing I have four ranging from low Watt to 80 Watts. I actually like to use the 80 Watts even for simple jobs like deans connectors, it's so simple and quick and it doesn't leave a dry joint and ensures the wire gets properly soaked with solder rather than just coated.

Hi Eric, a small light Iron for small light work. 17W to 25W. A substantial lump of an Iron for heavier work, 70w to 100W.

All work by heat transfer, transfer heat from the tip too quickly and it gets cooler than required. Lightwieght Temperature controlled irons prevent the tip from getting too hot they do not give an instant massive amount of heat for heavier work.

A substantial tip also allows a fast local heat transfer, doing the job without giving time for the surrounding area to get hot, limiting the chance of damage. Making sure all is clean is very important.

My irons have all been as Phil states, for the reason he gives.

I know its not recommended but I like to use a separate flux (e.g. Fry's Powerflux) even when using a multi core solder.

Just a tiny dab on the work makes the solder flow so much more easily that you actually end up using less heat.

It is of course mildly corrosive (after all that's how it works) so you are not supposed to use it on electrical joints but I have not had any trouble so far.

Ben, I also inherited my dads 60W iron which he bought new in 1952 and it still works!